Help with cutting Bahia

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dennis Spencer, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Dennis Spencer

Dennis Spencer LawnSite Member

Does any one cut large areas .what cuts best
    do you charge more
    i'am looking at 8 arces
    do you price hr or ac
  2. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

i cut 17 acres approx. i get 325 per cut. it is so cheap because it is the gas line, so it is just a big open space.
    8 acres i would like about 175-200 a cut, that is if there are no dangers, not to much weedeating, and not to looong of a driveway.
    on my z master 26hp efi 72" that would take a little over an hour since the thing can do 6-7 acres an hour.
  3. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

I can't offer any suggestions but look forward to hearing from someone who can. Bahia is my biggest problem. Haven't found anything that works well except really sharp blades. Of course the edge only lasts about 5 minutes cutting Bahia. If you can get an early start, MSMA will kill it but you do have to get an early start (right at green-up) and make repeated applications. Of course you can only use MSMA on bermuda and zoysia cause it'll kill centipede and St. Augustine. Vantage is supposed to be safe on centipede and St. Augustine but only claims to suppress the Bahia. Haven't tried Vantage myself so can't give a testimonial. Here in alabama, even if you get rid of it, you are still going to have it come back due to the vast amounts of hay fields in the area. Where in Alabama are you? You can drop me a line or reply on this thread......Joe
  4. Dennis Spencer

HLC i may be very cloce . Ilive in prattville
  5. Dennis Spencer

Kerr thanks, Bahiagrass produces tall seed heads 6-12in after
    rain in only a few days .used mostly for hay .
  6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

BTW for what its worth Kerr, your pricing on the 17 acres is about $150 short on the low end. The 8 acre site if its also flat out iwde area mowing your cutting yourself short by about $50 here too on the low end.

Theres money to be made out there, dont give your services away -LOL!!!
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$19.12 per acre??? I don't care how easy it is, you're leaving a ton of $$$ on the table. Granted you have some leeway in that it's flat with little or none in the way of trimming. But that's way too cheap. Should be double (at least).

6 - 7 acres per hour? Are you sure about that? Sounds way high to me...4 or 5 maybe in the easiest conditions. I run 3, 72" Toro Groundsmasters. Granted they're not Zs, but I'm happy with about 3.5 acres per hour.
  8. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

well what do u recommed i do then
    it is my own HOA and my dad is the treasure, the company before did it for 350 and make it look horrable. Put grass in ppl's property along the field and never cut these 2 hills so then ppl could see around traffic. This company was done in about 20-25 min. no problem 3 lazer's going, weedwackers and wb to do this hill.
    I did it last year, the year before they got it done for 350, year before 350, and the for the 2 years before that 325.
    With the z going, the 48", and 1 weed wacker were done in about 3 hrs, so 9 hours of work. Now the only reason i can't get it done faster is because i don't have another z going. I don't want to lose it because it is so easy and the side jobs (mulch, clean-up, and whatever else needs to be done) pay very well.
    Don't get me wrong there is money to be made here, just really competive, for example i got fired from this guy because he wanted me to cut more grass that he didn't realize was his. i said 35 and he said 30 i said no, and never cut that yard since.
    I'm almost 21 and i guess i'm still learning how to get business done.
  9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Since it's just you and this gives you access to the rest of the more profitable work to be had there, I would say that's ok. Likely you'll figure out ways to streamline as you go along. Don't worry, you've got lots of time to get where you're going, this isn't a tragedy.
  10. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Your dad is the treasure?