1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with Dallis Grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by unit40, Jul 28, 2007.

1. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know what I can use to rid a property of Dallis Grass? Without killing or damaging the turf around it?
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If there is one, I don't know. I usually either dig them up or use glyphosphate with a Q-Tip or small cloth.:dizzy:
  3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I'm having great success with getting rid of Dallisgrass in centipede grass and fescue lawn in Tennessee. What is your grass turf? Let us know. Roy
  4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

MSMA is highly effective in eradicating DallasGrass, however, I do not know if it is labeled for use in your state.
    Also, depending upon what turf type you are dealing with some off target yellowing may occur.
  5. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

MSMA has arsenic in it so states like California prohibit the use of the product. Be careful with MSMA because it can cause offsite yellowing like txgrassguy stated but also it will be the first chem to burn in the summer application process. It burns at approx 82-84 deg. I apply early in the morning or if the day is overcast and below 85 at time of application. The label is 1oz per 1000sqft but you can apply .25-.50 oz per 1000sqft every 2 weeks for 2-3 applications to get a good eradication of the targeted plant. Also, keep the property mowed frequently and try to de-head the plant if the seed heads pop up, this will keep the plant from re-seeding itself for next year since it is an annual. Good luck with the product but be cautious because the chem is potent.
  6. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

Don't forget to make sure that your particular turfgrass is tolerant of any chemical you use. I.E. - you cannot use MSMA on Centipede or St. Augustine, but I doubt you have those types of turf in Mass.

List your turf type and someone from your area will be able to offer a solid suggestion for it :)
  7. ACutAboveNC

I agree with DSTC. He probably will be applying it to bluegrass and I can not remember if it is listed for bluegrass but it is listed for tall fescue which is a cool season turf.
  8. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. It is mostly a cool season mix.....KBlue, some fescue, although the front yard is OK, it is mostly PRyegrass. It is starting to flower now, so I am bagging it and trying to manually pull out the diaginal shoots. I'll see if MSMA is listed for MASS, but it is hot now, and that is when this stuff really grows. If I can't use MSMA, I could use glyphosate, but it will take a long time. I didn't know it was an annual. Maybe next season I will try a pre-M. Maybe I'll just read up on the plant first. Thanks again...
  9. ACutAboveNC

Pre-m only covers perennials not annuals. The only method of control is mechanical and few chemical for dallisgrass unfortunately. I hope they come out with a new chemical to replace MSMA because it is an effective product.
  10. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

I thought Pre- Emergent controlled annual weeds such as crabgrass, yet won't prevent/effect perrennials. Sounds backwards to me. Looks like I'm going back to school.