1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with dead spots

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by devildog909, Apr 10, 2005.

1. devildog909

devildog909 LawnSite Member

I live in southern California, and I have a problem with my yard which started last year and looks like it is continuing again this year. As soon as the temperature gets warm (say around 80) spots in my grass turn a dark rich emerald green, then die a couple of days later. The problem showed up last year, and over the winter I re-seeded the affected areas and had grass growing. One or two weeks ago, the temp hit 80 and now the problem is back in the exact same areas. Any ideas what this is, or where I can go to find help?
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

What type of grass seed did you put down? Is a picture possible?
  3. devildog909

devildog909 LawnSite Member

scotts turfbuilder - Tall Fescue
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Could be fairyring.take spading fork or foot aireator and work from outside the ring about 2' out and put holes into the turf and work your way into center leaving nice deep rounded hloes.Do this all the way around the rings outside to inside.Then put hose on outside of ring and let it fill the holes very slowly,rotate hose from ring to ring and flood each ring completely several times,do this fooding evry wknd for 3 weeks.also,wash fork,and mower blades with rubbing alcohol bfr useing again and step into pan of bleach when after leaving the lawn so as not to spread this diasease back onto your lawn nex time or pothers lawns
  5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with fairy ring as being the most likely cause in tall fescue but I have never heard of the treatment above. Other problems that have these symptoms are Brown patch, summer patch and necrotic ring spot. These last two leave what looks like a donut (dead ring of grass with healthy looking grass in the middle). Is there a narrow band of dark green grass? Is there anything that looks like cotton threads in the morning in the problem areas? Most of these causes are from a weak root system (overseeding with too much seed), grass always being wet (water in the morning, not at night), too much nitrogen, and an excessive thatch layer.
  6. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

Grubs? (I'm an amateur, but I've had grubs that causes brown spots.)