Help with decision on Hustler

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MinnesotaJeff, Feb 26, 2008.

1. MinnesotaJeff

MinnesotaJeff LawnSite Member

Hello, I'm a homeonwer with less than 2 acres of beautiful lush lawn to mow. Currently using a JD tractor with a 38" deck, I want a better cut without having to bag, and to spend less time doing it so I decided to buy a zero turn. Through my research I finally got it down to either a Simplicity Champion or a Hustler Fastrak. The Fastrak i found is a leftover 2007 model. It has a 21hp Kaw and a 54" deck. I can pick it up for $4600.

Side by side i think the hustler is a better mower, better deal and higher quality, although the Simplicity is impressive too.

SO i'm struggling a little bit with whether the Hustler is just too big/too much mower..... 54" is a big deck! I really don't have any obstacles in the yard that should create a problem - I think it's just that when i started looking I had figured a 48" would be as big as I'd go with this purchase. So i'm looking for advice from experienced users - is a 54" pretty big and would you advise me to look at something smaller? My lawn is completely flat and very nice - whatever mower I buy will not get much of a workout at all. I'd hate to spend this much money and end up realizing i should have gone smaller.....

thanks for the input

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

As long as the width of the mower isnt going to be a issue when mowing / trimming or storage of the mower then I would say go for it.
    With the 54 you will get more trim capability on the left side of the deck with its overhang.
    The price is certainly right, I would be all over it with no second thoughts.

Pj

3. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

By trim be means the left side of the deck sticks out farther than the right side in relation to the frame/rear wheels. that means you can circle around trees, sidewalks ..etc without the left rear wheel cutting in too much & rubbing or running over what your trimming around. Get the hustler!

4. jimceez

jimceez LawnSite Member
    from PA

Jeff,

I have the FT 18/52 & absolutely love it. As a homeowner with a situation pretty much like yours but with a lot of flower beds, put we have them spaced and to reiterate PJ point the overhang is great.

You've got a good deal going. Grap it & you'll never regret it!

5. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler makes a 48 in FasTrak which currently has a promo price, for around 4999.

6. DENNIS MOW

DENNIS MOW LawnSite Member

No a 54 would not be to big. These things turn on a dime. I have a 60 Super Z and I use on little lawns. The quality of the cut is wonderful. I have no lawns that I cant use it on. Hustler has a very well made equipment. It would be the last mower you would ever buy. I have put 2400 hours on mine in 4 years do the math. You will get many years out of yours if you just mow your lawn.

7. dieselman10

dieselman10 LawnSite Member

don't worry about the size of the deck. we have about 2 acres and my dad just bought a exmark 60" zero turn. it's huge.:eek: i cant wait till we get it.:cool2: