1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with design

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by chrisvinky, Dec 4, 2008.

1. chrisvinky

chrisvinky LawnSite Senior Member

I have a residential lawn customer who asked me to design and install her front landscape.

I have always done my own property, but have never done landscaping commercially. I feel like I have an eye for it and that is where my passion is. I would like to transition one day to strictly landscaping.

Some of the plants I am thinking of are -

Arborvitae, Pyramid
    Gold flame spirea
    dwarf japanese holly
    english lavender
    dwarf variated weigela
    green velvet boxwood

I have come up with a couple of different designs and I am still playing around with ideas. I thought some of you could give me some ideas and/or constructive criticism.

This is the house as it is with nothing in the front

2. chrisvinky

3. chrisvinky

This is my favorite design so far. It has japanese hollies, gold flame spirea and english lavender.

4. chrisvinky

This is my first design. After looking at it for a while, I decided it wasn't what I wanted.

It has japanese holly and gold flame spirea on the left and dwarf weigela with dwarf korean lilac on the right

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Landscape Pro! You should sell this one!

I would want more of a plant grouping in 3s or 5s. I am not a big fan of spirea on foundation plantings since they are deciduous and have no foilage in the winter. What about goldmop? Loropetalum would look good against that foundation as well. Some annual beds along the front entry would look good as well.
  6. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Stay away from alternating plants like that- You want to mass in groups. Use more hright items in appropriate areas. Try a two-level planting and not one row of stuff. Think textures! Sometimes a house like that difficult to landscape- there are no existing items to work off of... and with a blank slate, you can certainly fill it in which equals $$$$....do you have a budget??
  7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

that place is a blank canvas for anything. i would try and stay away from the typical "symmetrical" feel of what you have. think of something more abstract. larger bed coming out on the left side, since that portion of the house is wider. things of that nature.

anyone can design a bed that sits 6-8' off the foundation of the house. its a good start, but get pretty creative. maybe some dwarf trees surrounded by understory ground cover, that mimics the outline of the beds. massings and groups are good. put some more interest along the left side near the door. it will give people something to look at while they are waiting for the home owners to answer the doors. lambs ear, seasonal color, something with a weird texture.
  8. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

you first design is better. I agree on the spirea it looks awesome in the season but terrible in off. I would prob consider Rosa Knockout in the front of that home. On the right hand side i would place an Jap maple or possible a topiary of some sort maybe pom pom. Great work though! Do you like that program and how much?
  9. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

I want to get to...
  10. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Page 2 so that I can...