1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Apr 25, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, since the grass has been so tall lately, it has forced me to double cut because my catcher sucks. My question is, since I have an older model 1996 SWZ 52", my mower came with a 14hp Kaw. Now I want to do doubles but I don't know if this engine will turn them fast enough because there would probably be a chance that the spindle would break. Do you think it would be ok to run doubles even though i'm running this small of an engine on this large mower. I also have added weights on the front to keep the deck from bouncing; do you suggest I take these off so that the mower is lighter and I can save more power for the blades?
  2. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

We have a two Yazoo/Kees walkebehinds. A 36" belt drive with 12.5hp and a 48" belt drive with 14hp. Anyone know how these would run we are in the same situation.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just my opinion but i see no extra stress except in heavy cutting.
    dont think the spindle will break or nothin.of course turning twice the blade in heavy grass will pull the motor ,but this is somewhat offset by better grass dispersal.i dont think id double if i used a mulch kit,as i only side discharge
  4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Having a smaller engine will not cause your spindles to go bad if you run doubles. I say try it out, see if it helps, but it may not because your engine doesn't have enough "horses" behind your deck.
  5. lawnkid

Ok we'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help.
  6. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I tried doubles on a 14 hp kawasaki Gravely. It did not work, not enough hp
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh, Another Wheelie riding SCAG!! I had to add 1/2" thick steel cladding to the front of the deck to combat this! Somebody wasn't doing their homework at the "MetalCraft of Mayville" plant when they designed the '96-'97 mowers!

As for hp? You may want to stick to single blades, as I have only 48" on my 14 Kawi, and it struggles with singles sometimes! You will not harm anything but the engine by lugging it. If it goes, its an easy swap for a 17 Kawi twin!!!
  8. lawnkid

What do you mean it's an easy swap/ How much does a new 17 hp Kaw. V-Twin cosst?
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I mean, its an easy swap :confused:

A new 14hp Kawi is $729

A new 17hp Kawi is $799

$70 for 3 more horsepower, and a bunch more torque, and you get a whole other cylinder, FREE ! :D

Have you tried SCAG HI-Lifts yet? They're fully sharpened 3" wide blades. They get busy under there when it comes to suction! Take a hair less hp than doubles.

Good Luck
  10. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I run a MTD pro (please keep the comments to yourselves) with a Kohler 13hp and I've run doubles on it since it was new and it has plenty of power. Its a 36" by the way. I don't run a sulky though.