help with endophytic seed

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by sethmoss1, Apr 1, 2008.

1. sethmoss1

sethmoss1 LawnSite Member

I just signed my first full service organic lawn care account and could use some help.

The lawn I'm working on was started new last fall, but it only came in about 50%. i'm worried that the weeds will have a good chance here, so I want the best overseeding program. The lawn is shaded, but the center 2000sq ft is full sun. about 6000 sq ft total.

Can I inoculate the seed with endophytic fungi myself? If so, where can I but some. otherwise i will use jonathan green, but they only have shade mixes with the fungi, why's that?

I also plan on soaking the seed in Neptune's Harvest fish/seaweed blend before spreading. does any one else do this?

once the seed comes up I plan on hitting it again with fish/seaweed emulsion, and/or compost tea.

the rest of the program calls for soy meal, alfalfa meal, another fall overseed, and five apps of compost tea, or instant compost tea. really, no expense spared.

thanks, I've been getting so much info from the organic forum, I hope to soon have the experience to give some back.

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Sethmoss
    You can do it your self if you like look to one of the best in the industry Dr, Mike Amaranthus, known as Dr. Mike I believe he is www.mycorrhizae.com

The can be a bit of a pain to do but it works well. Hort and Ag have been using these methods for decades.

You can also use our product which is chock full of endo mycorrhizae, as well as a lot of other beneficials we also include a package that we call accelerator which is a rich mix of molasses, kelp, humate, vitamin B and fish. We have great to excellent results from seeding

Check it out here www.ictorganics.com

We also have a hydroseed product that is just beneficials for the mix, it comes in gallons. It has endo, ecto myco, a full range of Bacteria and tons of trichoderma which are excellent for fungal issues in turf grass

Try to make sure you cover the seed with a good finished compost you will get great germination rates

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of turf is there now? We're very partial to Trophy endophyte enhanced tall fescue. Does well in full sun or shade, is wear tolerant and won't go dormant.

I don't know if you can inoculate the seed yourself. Google search it and a lot of patents pop up. I've also never soaked the seed in fish and seaweed, although I've applied it on new seedlings, heavy on the seaweed and tea.

How are you going to seed? Slice seed? Why not apply your alfalfa meal then slice seed into the soil? You want seed to soil contact regardless of the season.

4. ICT Bill

Hey Natty,
    I have never tried the 'soak the seed" method before, it would seem to me to be a bit of pain in the butt. My imagination sees a big pile of seed all stuck together, how do you broadcast that?

Someone please fill in my ignorance

5. sethmoss1

thanks,
    bill, will your product do the same as inoculating the seed with endo to make it bug resistent? could you give me a little more info on endo and ecto, and how it relates to mycorhirizal fungi. are there other types of endo and ecto.

natty,
    the lawn appears to be all bluegrass, maybe thats why it's so thin. I was going to overseed, then roll it. compost isn't in the budget, maybe next year though. i guess i could rent a seeder. will it make that much differnence?
    do you think alfalfa will help the seed germinate? i thought it would take too long to become available. I was planning on using the seaweed emulsion when seeding, then a month or so later apply alfalfa and instant tea (until i get a fancy brewer and make it mysalf, that is).

again thanks for the help!

6. sethmoss1

bill, the web site says to soak the seed, and i was wondering the same thing when i read it. now i realze they are talking about seeds you would plant by hand like in a garden, man i think about grass to much. I'm glad I asked....:dizzy:

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Seth, for years we used costly seed starters with mixed results, then we started using worm casts with good results. then tea came into our life and miracle of miracle's we had a real WINNER. 98 to 100% starts every flat full and no wilt off or damping even in a mist house and cuttings do good to. the nature of healthy soil, it will grow good crops, grass, trees. soil compaction is the first killer of seed in my mind

8. sethmoss1

treegal,
    thanks. so i should be oaky with just seed and good tea. I don't currently brew my own tea, will the instant work? 20gal/acre?

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO, find money for good compost.

10. ICT Bill

I have to agree with Kiril, get the organic matter up in the soil whenever possible. I don't mean to bang a drum nonstop but soil organic matter is key:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Sethmoss, Mycorrhizae has been used for years in horticulture and nurseries for some reason it has not gotten out into the hands of lawn and landscape.
    Here is an article on it
    http://www.ictorganics.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/articles.detail/articleID/6/index.htm
    Mycorrhizae mine phosphorous and other essential nutrients and literally give them to the plant