Help with English garden design

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Big M LawnnSnow, May 2, 2004.

1. Big M LawnnSnow

Big M LawnnSnow LawnSite Member

Anybody out there have a good design or any ideas for a small english garden??
    Say 6'x24'
    Also we need some good deer resistant plants.
    The deer here are really chomping up everything.
    Thanks
    MJ

2. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

I'm with Big M, what specifically is an 'English Garden' or 'Cottage Garden'?

I have clients tell me they want this style garden, and in the next breath they say they want low maintenance. I think an English Garden means a whole bunch of perennials crammed together with mostly white flowers. I believe I need to get a book over at Amazon.com.

3. Big M LawnnSnow

I guess nobody here knows.
    Or don't you guys want to share the info.

4. Mats

Mats LawnSite Bronze Member

|| I guess nobody here knows. Or don't you guys want to share the info. ||

jwholden gave you a pretty good answer when he said, "I think an English Garden means a whole bunch of perennials crammed together with mostly white flowers. I believe I need to get a book over at Amazon.com."

That's my take on English style gardens - a bunch of herbaceous perennials jammed together. And no, English gardens are not low maintenance.

You'll get more info and ideas by buying a couple books on garden design, cottage gardens or English gardens than you'll ever get from an online forum.

That said, this forum is specifically about Cottage Gardens - http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/cottage/

Reading some of those threads will give you an idea of what an English garden entails.

5. ddthomas2

ddthomas2 LawnSite Member

English Gardens are just that, the type of gardens that one would see in England.

There is no absolute definition, but I feel that it best describes an outdoor area as opposed to a flower bed which we often refer to as a garden.

They are usually well defined area, and contain multiple elements such as an herb garden or a cut flower garden as described above. Could contain various other elements such as pathways, benches, arbors, ponds, etc.

Check the following link some addtional info.

http://www.britainexpress.com/History/english-gardens.htm

Dennis
    GrassMasters of Louisiana

6. Big M LawnnSnow

Thanks for the help guys.
    I'll definately get some more books.
    MJ

7. Keith Howells

Keith Howells LawnSite Member

8. PattiD

PattiD LawnSite Member

Don't forget those wonderful old antique roses!! The "grandma" roses, no-fear bushes. There are wonderful pictures and descriptions on this site: www.countrysideroses.com This is a local nursery in our area I have been very pleased with that also sells by mailorder.