Help with estimate!!! have pics!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by RossP, Jun 21, 2008.

1. RossP

RossP LawnSite Member

I need to send in an estimate for this property owners driveway. Its about 45' x 55'. The customer wants gravel spread over the entire parking area. How would I price this? I will have my dump truck and a few employees with me to move things along.

Some help with how many yards of 1/2" stone I will need and what my final price should be would help so much...

here are some pics...

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

2. RossP

RossP LawnSite Member

ok so ive been running through some numbers and this is what i have...

1. fill in hole and level hole with loam 2yds, dump truck, delivery materials $100
    labor $100

2. spread gravel 2500 sq ft @ 2" depth (16yds), dump truck, delivery, 3 men

materials $500
    labor $800

whatta ya think? sound right?

3. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

so the entire area is 2500sf?

i think you will need more than 2" depth, that 2" goes QUICK

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

First i would regrade that parking area (bobcat/skidsteer) then if your deminsions are right it looks like it will take 16 yds like stated or about 22 ton of gravel, also go to Home Depot and buy yourself a project calculator $19.99 these things are great for just what your looking to do.

5. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Driveway looks bigger them 45x55 but if it is price it out at a per ton basis. Something like 50.00/ton installed.

6. RossP

RossP LawnSite Member

haha ok so i just got back from the property and measured it.. its 65' x 65'

it would be 2" of stone dust base layer (51 tons) and then 2" of 1/2" washed stone (36 tons)

JNyz if i take your advice that would be 87 tons which equals a total price of $4350.00

to the experienced guys out there, does this sound right? appreciate your help!

7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

this is in one of my suppliers books -
    Crushed stone and gravel coverage -
    1 ton covers approximaty:
    220 sq. ft. at 1 in depth.
    110 sq. ft. at 2 in depth.
    73 sq. ft. at 3 in depth.
    36 sq. ft. at 6 in depth.
    22 sq. ft. at 9 in depth.
    "Rule of thumb" 1.5 tons per cubic yard.

8. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I think if you have to ask on this job I would pass you could end up loosing a serious amount of $$ thats a large area that will suck up materials very fast. They can get that area paved with asphalt for alot less than $3500 I would be honest with them and let them get quotes for that as by just looking at the house you are not gonna get 4k plus from them

9. RossP

RossP LawnSite Member

the property owner owns both houses in the picture.. he rents them out

10. RossP

RossP LawnSite Member

I really can't pass this job up. I've recently moved to a new town where my company isn't as well known. It's a great area with high traffic... just having my dump truck out there with signs makes it worth it. I'm gonna price it on the high end and if he wants it then I'll have no problem with sending my guys there.