Help with estimate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green Elegance, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Green Elegance

Green Elegance LawnSite Member

Hello and god day day to everyone,
    I am hoping someone can give me some assistance with a residential estimate on the following. I will try to be simple, but understandable as possible. Also keep in mind that all materials will be delivered to the site(for a fee of course $60.00) and all materials will be moved by wheel barrow 20ft from delivery location. (I am going to hire one additional person to help me)
    Material costs are as follows:
    2 tons 2inch Flagstone= $500.00
    15, 10ft steel Edging slats = $155.00
    50, 6x16inch Concrete Square pavers= $275.00
    3 cu yds Pea Gravel= $105.00
    2 cu yds Masonary Sand= $50.00
    6 cu yds Decomp. Granite= $300.00
    5 cu yds Hardwood Mulch= $150.00
    7 cu yds Bedding Soil= $210.00
    Materials Total $1805.00( includes the $60deliv)

First off there is 1700 sq ft of Sod that needs removing(most likely with a sod cutter) for new bed space, patio extension, sitting areas and step stone install.

The customer wants to use the concrete pavers to extend their patio space. I am going to install similar to a dry flagstone install, using the decomp. granite as my base and sand to level and pea gravel as filler, enclosed in steel edging. This area is approx 625sq ft.

The remaining decomp granite, and pea gravel will be used to create a seating are of approx 300 sqft enclosed in steel edging.

The 2in flagstone will be used as stepping stones in three seperate serpentine paths totalling 150ft. This will be direct install in ground

With the sod removed from planting beds, I will install the bedding soil( no plant selections have been made so this is being omitted at this time) I am going to assume all 5 cu yds of mulch will be used and applied, so that is what I want to charge for.

Finally, the cust wants me to give them a price as well on moving a 15 ft post oak from the front yard, to the back yard.

Any assistance anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again,

Green Elegance
  2. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I'm not an expert, but using the pea gravel for a filler can turn into a mess. It looks nice at fist but when they start using that area the pea gravel will be everywhere, not to mention if you do the maintance on it throughout the year have fun trying to blow off that area and keep the gravel in between the flagstone. Not only that also you may want to use gravel as a base, sand for leveling then use the DG for the filler. You may want to post this in the hardscaping forum also, those guys know what they are talking about and may be helpful to you!
  3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

first of all do you have the know how and ability to do such an install ? not to be a hard azz but be sure you can do it professionaly . second i agree on the pee gravel situation .see if you can use marble chips .its cost more but the cust. will be pleased that stone is not all over their lawn .
  4. Green Elegance

Green Elegance LawnSite Member

I do know how to install, I have done a few patios, concrete and flagstone in my lifetime. I won't say that I am a fully seasoned landscaper, but I am learning with each opportunity. If you have any positive suggestions I am welcome to hear. Does this install sound as if it will be so difficult?
    Also I agree with the pea gravel, but the customer wants it..........I usually use DG for filler, but with only a caramel color available, it will highly contrast with the concrete pavers...... Also, I have never used gravel as a base because it doesnt compact as good as DG.......but I may try it in this case.....

Thank you,
    Green Elegance