1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with Estimate..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I picked up a new customer for a mowing contract for the remainder of the year. She also wants me to do some reseeding where they had a pool put in. Can anyone help me with a fair estimate price? Here are a few pics. I didn't measure yet so I don't know the exact size. Any help would be great. Also, what would be the best (cost effective) way for me to level this area out? Thanks again:usflag: When I've done reseeding in the past my cost to the customer was $100.00 per 1000 sq ft..

2. Mrk'sLawn

Nothing? **Bump**
  3. Hartnett Lawn Care

Hartnett Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I did a lawn restoration job for someone. It was an acre of land that was spotty but not quite as bad as the one in your pictures.

The first thing I did was "dethatch the lawn"...........................$225.00

Labour to put down lime; fertilizer, seed; pick up items; etch
    7 hours @ 45.00.................................................................$315.00

materials (seed; lime; fertilizer) $600.00

Total............................................................................ $1140.00

It was my first job so I did not mark up the materials...but the lady liked the job and she has had me do another $2800 of landscaping and mulching as well as her weekly mowing. She is a good customer and those are the one's you want to keep.

I don't know if this helps but I hope so...send us some pictures of the finished job>
  4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry buddy, this isn't a difficult one to bid. It also has low overhead costs, so you should use this experience to practice your bidding processes.
  5. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

ignore that guy, if you havent had a lot of expierence you wont know how to bid.I would check to see how much hydroseeding would cost, would grow quicker and would cost about the same.
  6. Team-Green L&L

Yeah, do what this guy said. When you price the hydro-seeding from another contractor that owns the truck and will rape you for asking him to do it in the dead of summer, let him know that the costs are a little different. The bad news is that hydro-seeding IS your best bet in July.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with you Team-Green, we're on the same track.

As for me, I wouldn't even bid this job thou I like your 1140 quote, I would've priced it around 600 but not in July and not for this customer because she feels like paying 100-200, that's her ballpark, guaranteed.
    MAYBE you can get 300 out of her but you'll be pulling teeth.

Best I can say is wait until FALL.
    Then, get a 50 pound bag of seed and throw it down, charge her 120 and be done with it.
    Cheap and easy does it, results are not guaranteed.
  8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

why not just rent a hydro seeder, cant be that much to rent for a couple of hours. what kind of person is this, are they going to water it and help it grow or just expect it to grow on its own. Maybe you should just buy one of those mix bags with weeds and flowers and grasses galore. and just spread it around for them,,.
  9. Team-Green L&L

This is, by far, the most appropriate solution. You could rent a hydro-seeder, but it runs in the upwards of $200 a day if my mind serves me right. Plus, you need a competent operator and you'll have to find one in July (when hydro-seeding is in it's prime). Make the client happy and save him/her a grand by waiting 3 mos.
  10. Mrk'sLawn

Thanks for the responses. I think I should probably tell her to hold off a few months and seed it in the fall. Maybe she will appreciate the honesty about the cost of doing it in July... Anyway, I already have the mow contract..:weightlifter: :weightlifter: