Help with estimate

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rockandroller, Mar 18, 2007.

1. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

Any help here would be appreciated.

The bid is 1) remove existing landscape ties, rock and brick, 2) grade leftover soil being retained on the right side of house (see pic), 3) remove 13 small honeysuckle stumps from along right side of fence, 4) clean-up, prep and reseed/fert enire back yard. Thanks for any input..

Dover yard pic1.jpg

Dover yard pic2.jpg

dover yard pic3.jpg
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a job for a mini-skid (32" width for 36" fence) with backhoe attachment (digging up stumps, tearing down wall), bucket attachment (moving topsoil, wall removal, rough grading, etc), and cultivator attachment (seed prep, soil amendment).

2 days, 2 men. Day one demo, material removal, and bringing in topsoil. Day two grading and bed prep.

Machine rental/transportation, materials, 32 man-hours.

I dunno my guestimate...

3. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds like a good deal right there.
  4. rockandroller

I wish I could attempt to get that much for this job!

I was thinking more along the lines of $125-$150 for demo and removal,
    $150 for tilling up and regrading the high spot near the house, $125-$150 for removing the honeysuckle rootballs, $150 to spot till bare spots, then seed, apply start fert...That would bring my bid to about $600 for what I think might be an all dayer with just me.

The customer isn't going to go for a complete reno, with all new topsoil, etc.....It's a homeowner/landlord of a two family that wants to get the yard in a little shape for the new tenants. $2200 would send them running to the hills....

Anyone else have any thoughts?
  5. LB1234

No offense but 'tilling the bare spots'...:confused: Isn't that whole yard one big bare spot?

Sorry but I just can't see how you will make any money on this...either that or you are grossly underpricing. Again, sorry but 125-150 for demo and removal seems awfully low...I think you'll be lucky to cover your costs. I dunno where you are at but most disposal sites have a one ton minimum dump fee which is around 75 bucks. If you add fuel and time for travel to the dump site then you are probablly going to be at least another 50 bucks...there's your 125 right you are going to make 25 bucks for an hours worth of work pulling apart a small wooden wall?

I'm not even going to touch the 13 mini-stumps for 150. It seems as if 150 is the number for any job...sorry not trying to be harsh just really confused:dizzy: I'm curious as to how you came up with the costs?

Again, I'm not trying to come off as mr. 'I know what I'm doing, listen to me' I just don't want to see you lose your shirt on this one. 600 seems awfully low...but perhaps I'm the one that is way off and I'm missing something here. I mean I did make some major assumptions here. Heck I think I inserted a number in my head of 300 for materials...perhaps it won't even be half that. Maybe the raised wooden bed frame will come down with a simple smack of a sledge and breaker bar adn you will be in and out in an hour for that part.

I'm curious as well to see what others think.
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand what you are trying to do, and that is getting the job.
    I do not see a lot of work in removing the landscape timbers, bricks, getting them to trailer, loading them. The time on removing the roots of the honeysuckle You will need to figure dumping fees also and time to unload them at dump.
    I think I would till the whole area instead of just the bare spots. You will need something to cover and protect the seed until germination. It doesn"t look like a large area so the starter fert is not much. I would think you are using fescue seed and that would be applied at 6-8 pounds per 1000 sq/sf.
    Except for the seed, fert, and rental of a tiller, it is all labor...You might be a little low on your labor charges.
  7. rockandroller

Perhaps some of you are misled. The only thing leaving this site are a few landscape ties, and a few pavers. No dirt nothing else. The customer wants this stuff removed, along with the small honeysuckle rootballs the ground behing the ties leveled off, then a simple reseed. This is not a total redo!

The demo might take all of 1 hr. solo labor, with disposal right at the site, no hauling. The stumps are small honeysuckles, a pain but not worth me renting a heavy piece of equiptment, maybe 1 - 1.5 hr there.....As far as prepping and seeding the yard....Mantis small tiller (used it on reno this size before and the grass popped right up), 1.5 hr tops, seed, straw, start fert easy as 1 2 3. Add .5 hr for clean-up and I'm gone in 6 hrs with $550!

I'm not sure what part of the country you're in, or how big the operation, but this homeowner would have a cardiac if I asked for much more.

Does this paint a better picture, or should I be charging $ 200/hr for this job? Anyway, no offense taken, and hopefully none taken on my account..
  8. LB1234

Your materials costs seem to be less than 75 bucks...I factored in 300. Machine rental and everything I figured for 600 or so....yours is 0. I factored in another 300 or so for disposal fees....yours is 0. I figured two days two men or about 32 have 6.

So, yes, it does paint a better picture.

Assuming 50 material, 50 fuel, 25 miscs...leaving you with 425 over 6 hours or about 70/hr. If that's what you are going to get then great. I'd love to gross 70/hr.
  9. rockandroller

Thanks for chiming in. Materials will cost me around $60 + small p/u fee. The rest will be straight labor. If I get it it should be alright. There is also a lawn maintenance factor on the line so I'd like to get this little job!
  10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

how about your overhead costs