Help with ESTIMATE!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Denham Lawnboy, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Denham Lawnboy

Denham Lawnboy LawnSite Member

I know I hate these topics just as much you the next guy but I got myself in a problem. The Exmark from the high school that i graduated from was stolen. My baseball coach called me and said that he needs someone to cut the baseball field, softball field, and surrounding areas until they buy a new one. I do not know what to charge because i have never even come close to cutting something this large before. Any suggestions on price would be appreciated. Thanks!

p.s. the surrounding area is half the size of the softball field. No weedeating.

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Charge $60Hr and you'll be fine. you should be able to look at the work and figure out how long it will take you, otherwise post some pictures to get a better responce. Good Luck!

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If your nervous about it and it seems to big for you....it may be.

Make extra sure you want to be doing the work first.

Can't give you a rec on price - don't live down there.

4. Denham Lawnboy

This job is without a doubt larger than what i can handle for long term i am just going to be cutting the fields for a few cuttings. I am guessing 2 hours on the baseball field and 1 hour and half for the surrounding areas.

5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

3.5hrs total per visit @ $60hr = $210.00. can you turn a profit on that price or do you need to charge more? Also is this work being handed to you or do you have to bid on it?? I know you said the coach called you but sometime they call more then one person... Just asking.

6. Denham Lawnboy

As far as i know i am the only one that has bidded on the job = handed to me. He is a good friend and am more concenered with just helping him out right now. I am going to bid $250 and go from there.

7. FNG

FNG LawnSite Member

If you always do what you have always done, you will always, have what you have now. It may seem intimidating, but jump out there and do it.

"Coach, I need this much to turn a profit on it."

If he balks, ask him what he was thinking of paying. If what he says seems fair, meet him in the middle between your price and his. He'll go for it I'm betting.

You never know, he may think your price is low enough to warrant not replacing the mower and having you do it all the time.

In the end, the WORST he can do is say no. He's not going to kill you and eat you.

DO IT!!

R

ps. do something EXTRA on the job, he'll appreciate it and it will help him decide to bring you back.

8. FNG

FNG LawnSite Member

Bsed on equipment list and time involved, I fail to see how it is more than you can handle long term. What am I missing?

R

9. Denham Lawnboy

Thank you everyone for the info. I bid $250 and got the job. Once again thank you everyone.

FNG, the reason that I do not see myself able to keep doing these fields is because i am going to be a freshman in college and am trying to get out of the lawn business and go into law enforcement. The only yards i want to keep are with a builder that is a family friend.