Help with existing wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by HazellLawnCare, Feb 13, 2008.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

A property management company that we do a lot of mowing, landscaping, and snow work for has contacted me about a wall they got wrote up on. I know they don't have alot of money in this properties account and want to fix it as cheap as possible. It appears the wall wall back filled with dirt and not compacted and there is no drain behind it. I am thinking I can take the wall down put a drain tile behind it, backfill with the right stuff and compact the fill, and use geogrid to tie it in with the soil behind it. I think the base might be ok but I won't decide until the wall is down. Do you think the improper construction is causing the wall to lean or is it roots from the tree?

2. landstyles

landstyles LawnSite Member

What are the measurments of the wall?.....Most likely poor build..... Can you post a pic of it?

3. HazellLawnCare

this might help

villagewall 001.jpg

4. HazellLawnCare

some more here

villagewall 002.jpg

villagewall 003.jpg

5. HazellLawnCare

Also what kind of wall is this? It is held to together by plastic pins and I am sure some will be broken or lost when we put it back up. I would rather put in a new wall with a product I am familiar with but they don't want to spend the money. I told them there would be no gaurantee with this block but if they went new I would gaurantee it. The manager said that wall has been fine for 10 years so it should last another 10 after it is redone!

villagewall 004.jpg

villagewall 005.jpg

6. landstyles

landstyles LawnSite Member

Haven't seen that type of block before. Looks like the previous builder didn't backfill the wall properly. I would have taken a bit more out behind the wall and build a wider base for the block to sit on. As for saving the base, I wouldn't recommend it (contamination).
    Just watchout with your pricing, because sometimes (all the time) rebuilding an old wall can be more time consuming and a bigger headache than building new. I usually price high enough to encourage the owner to go new. Make sure he realizes your in business to sell labour not material.

7. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ok thats versa-lock CTS block, i install lots of walls........... first off, take the ENTIRE wall down! stack blocks out of the way. Redue EVERYTHING! for this id have 6inches of QP compacted QP under my first course layer. Just because of the previous problem in have 1.5 blocks under the lower grade level. you should need geogrid, but for the price and the previous problem you can use it. its a MUST to have drainage behind that wall and a MUST to have atleast 2ft of 3/4 clean behind it. stack the blocks set everything properly and powerwash the wall so it looks halfway decent

8. loupiscopolandscaping

and that wall is a pin system so save all the pins if you can

9. loupiscopolandscaping

shouldnt need geogrid* i hate typing

10. loupiscopolandscaping

id say with QP and 3/4 clean with labor, id throw a price of 5k out there and see what they say. shouldnt take longer than 3 days with 2 guys and a machine