Help with fading finish!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jonspolaris, Nov 5, 2004.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

I installed Malibu tier Lights along our sidewalk. The lights are 18w all metal and came with a "verde green" finish. The lights perform well and seem well built. The problem is that the verde green finish has faded to amost nothing. they now look just like black lights. Im sure I could exchange them at HD, but would it happine agian?

Any way to prevent it from happining? and do all verde Green finish lights do this when in sunlight?

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not familiar with that brand.

It's possible you either got a bad batch, or that's just the way they are. FWIW, I have yet to see any serious fading from any Kichler or Vista lights we've installed. This could be one case where cheaper is definately not better!

As for preventing it, I dunno, as I've never seen the problem. Have you tried to contact the manufacturer?

Dan

3. jonspolaris

Thanks,

yes i have tried to contact the manufacture, Calling them is a real experience. they have a very complex phone system. Im not sure if there are any "real" people that answer the phones. It was just push buttons forever.

We also have latern style lights mounted on the side of our garage door. the are this same Verde Green finish, and have faded alot also.They are not malibu

4. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

What is the Mfg. on the garage lantern's?

Regards,
    Active

5. jonspolaris

Activelandscape,

I have no clue,as they were installed by the builder before we moved in. there are quite a few in our subdivision that have the same kind of lights, and many if not most have faded. It seems to be only a problem when in direct sunlight. the Verde green lights are now straight black.

6. jonspolaris

Activelandscaping,

not to be rude, but how did you become a CPA without a degree in Accounting or business? I thought you need that in Michigan.

7. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

jonspolaris,
    No offense taken.
    I imagine a Certified Public Accountant ( which I am not ) would need better college credentials than a Certified Pesticide Applicator ( which I am ), I believe they also frequent different forums.:p
    In truth I am terrible at accounting and leave that end of the business to Quick Books and my accountant, a different kind of CPA. I did review his landscaping and, after he reviewed my book keeping, we agreed that it was best if we each stuck to our " core business ".

With regards to the disappearing Verde on the light's and lanterns. I would guess that the green pigment they used is not UV stable, or part of the process that coats the fixture with a UV stabilizer was left out during Mfg. I am guessing these lamps/lights were probably purchased from the same supplier, and you might try seeking some satisfaction from them.
    I am also in SE Michigan and was just at a customers house with 2217 Verde (Vista) path lights. I installed the lighting 12 years ago and 2 of the fixtures needed to be replaced, with the exception of the brass cap being shiny, the lamp's looked identical. If you bought them from HDepot then I would try them first.

Regards,
    Active