Help with Fall Cleanup???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by antcap51, Jul 5, 2008.

1. antcap51

antcap51 LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner and I was planning to do araeting in late fall afterI gey the leaves up. I was talking to a landscaper I saw in my area and wanted to run his recomendation by you guys. He said after I get all the leaves up in the fall I should
    Mow
    Arerate
    Put some lime down (soil is very high in clay)
    Seed
    Some starter fertlizer

Does this make sense? Thoughts? Thanks everyone

2. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

My recommendation:

Get leaves up
    Mow
    Aerate
    Read this: http://www.humeseeds.com/gypsum.htm

As far as Seeding and fertilizing, i am clueless because my climate is night and day to yours.

But after aerating, fertilizing is a ideal.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

a quick ph test will let you know if a lime treatment is warnt. i have clay soil here in indy and i've only come accross one lawn in the last 8 years that need a lime app., but your soil, even though it's clay could and might be different.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure how your climate is there, but out here in BFE we like to aerate/slice seed/dethatch/etc in September and October, so the grass gets a good start before going into winter. September is by far the month that you will have the best success getting grass to grow, here.

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

everything sounds good but a soil test will let you know if the lime is needed or not but that sounds like a fair recomendation to me

6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

yes it does for MA but i would do the aeration seed etc in late early sept. so the seed has a chance to germinate and establish some roots before winter. If you do it in the fall and the seed starts to pop then there is a freeze the seed dies.

7. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I'll second that. Texture and pH are two different things. In my experience adding organic matter is a very effective way to improve clays. Let the soil test determine if pH adjustment is needed. When I find clay here it's almost an automatic sulfur treatment.