Help with Fall Scheduling

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dantelawn, Sep 10, 2004.

1. dantelawn

dantelawn LawnSite Member
    from PA

Some of you guys out there doing applications.... How do you schedule your aeration/slit seeding work in addition to your fall applications? We have only a few techs, but they are very busy with a soild 6 weeks of fall applications, followed by winterizer & lime. In addition, we also have seeding work to be done in a short window of opportunity(Spet/Oct). I realize some of the landscapers can pull a guy off of a mowing or extra work crew to do seeding work, but any suggestions how to be most efficient with a small, busy staff would be appreciated.
  2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

May want to consider combining your lime applications with your winterizers in a combination product, like a fertilizer with a pelletized lime. Usually easier to hire someone to do aerations or take an experienced rep to do aerations and have someone help part time on an application route, depending on the #of apps or aerations you have to complete.
  3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

might be time to hire on another employee? Someone to do the aerations/overseeds, he could also help with the lime apps/ winterizer ferts, deep root tree/shrub feeding, anything that does not require a pesticide license.

We call it the 'miscellaneous position'. This position can take some of the load off the shoulders of your techs which will lessen their stress and make them happier? When spring rolls around this 'miscellaneous position' can help with the heavier load of estimates that come in at that time. With this person on board you can push harder at selling more aerations/overseeds. The hands on training would be a benefit as well. You could give this person the goal of getting licensed to apply pesticides and eventually get him in a route. Then hire another miscellaneous person and watch business grow.
  4. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Ive hired college kids to do my aerations in the past, seems to be plenty of people that want to make some quick money without comminting to a full time job.

This season Im not doing that, Im trying to do them all myself ( quickly falling behind ) Now that the kids are back in school ( mine ) I got to get up early ( summer months my house is dead quiet at 8:30am ) so I find Im on my lawns alot earlier in fall, this allows me a few days at the end of rd 3 to fit in a few days of aerations.

Their is a new company not too far from me that does just aerations, Im guessing he's a start up, But Im considering contacting them to see if I could sub some work out to them.

One of my landscapers I do work for helps me with aerations as well. leaves havnt started falling yet , So I will give him a day of aerations