Help with fast growing grass!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by joeco129, Aug 30, 2007.

1. joeco129

joeco129 LawnSite Member

I have this grass in my yard, in a few big patches, that grows 4 to 5 times faster than my regular grass. I mow my lawn once a week with my tractor set to 3.5 inches... I would guess my regular grass is about 4 to 4.5 inches tall each week... (I do run a sprinkler system)

This crazy stuff I am referring too will grow to 10 inches or so in a week. I don't have a picture of it now (I can get one)... but it's a very flat, wide blade with a very light green color. Almost yellowish-green. As I said it grows to almost 10 or more inches in a week and starts to fall over on itself because of the height... like a candycane sort of.

I had a neighbor tell me it was goosegrass, but after seeing pics of goosegrass on this website, that is not what it is... Without seeing a pic, does anyone have a suggestion?

I also notice when mowing this grass does not cut clean like the rest of my lawn. It is like the mower blades are ripping it. Where the ends have been cut is like shredded or ripped, as the rest of my lawn is cut clean... Blades are sharp!

Any ideas or suggestions would be of help... and I'll get a pic to post, hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks

2. NNL&LS

NNL&LS Banned
    from zone 5

Sounds like quackgrass.

3. joeco129

joeco129 LawnSite Member

It looks close to what I have. I just looked up pictures on the net... My stuff does not have any joints, where the side leaves come off off, as the pictures showed. It is just a straight, flat, wide leaf, from the ground...

I need to get a picture...

I also notice they are rough to the touch. They will slightly grab your skin if walking through it in shorts...

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Nutsedge or nutgrass... though the leaf isn't "flat" it's more of a v-shape.

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Without seeing a photo it sounds like our Dallisgrass.

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Is it bright green? It sounds like Nutsedge.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic