1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help with fert, pesticide,pre emergent program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by phillawn, Oct 15, 2006.

1. phillawn

phillawn LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner who would like to start a fertilizer, pesticide, and pre-emergent program on my yard which is laden mostly with st augustine grass (floratam) and some different kinds of weeds (i.e.kyllinga, dollarweed,grassyweeds,crabgrass as an example).I'll be using lesco products.I appreciate sharing your experience and recommendations on the frequency of applications on each chemicals.I live in Jacksonville, FL.
  2. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Don't limit yourself to Lesco products. There are much better quality fertilizers available. Do a search here to find out what others in YOUR area have used successfully. There are several members here that are experts in dealing with St. Augustine in FL.

Once you get the St. Augustine thick, dense and growing vigorously, your need for weed killers, and preemergents will be very minimal. Effective fertilizers will depend a lot on your soil composition. Fertilization timing, disease prevention, and insect control are the keys to good St. Augustine lawns.

You should start by checking your county extension service for their recommendations. They know the soils there.