1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with fertalizer plan!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jonspolaris, May 20, 2005.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

Im live in a subdivision that currently has Truegreen do the fertalizing, they have burnt the lawns almost everytime, from spilling fertalizer on the lawns. Last fall they were applying a 30-0-0 for a winterizer. I would like to know what a good fertalizing program would be. We are currently getting A LOT of N from them
    The lawns are Fescue with sandy base, then topsoil. It has little shade and irrigated every morning.We are in zone 5.

Any help with a good program? I am looking at dumping Trugreen. They seem to want a ingorate customer so they can tell them anything.
  2. Knukey

Knukey LawnSite Member

I live in Central Virginia so this may not be helpful. The Cooperative Extension says to fertilize S-O-N (Sept-Nov). I just went to the local seed store and bought 10-10-10 and it looks great.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Try calling some local company to take care of it.

They will taylor a program to meet your budget/needs.
  4. Rinker97

Rinker97 LawnSite Member

If you want to do it yourself, go to either the Scott's, Lesco, or Vigoro website and they will help you come up with a plan. It will tell you what to use and when to apply it. It's based off your location and the type of grass you have.

Hope that helps

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm envisioning a 200 home subdivision here?. Not something a board member should be tackling for the first time. Plus, you'd need to be licensed.
  6. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

We have about 3 acres of land to be fertalized. I won't do this my self. I want a company that does it right. Truegreen is good at smoke and mirrors.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Then do as I suggested and find a local applicator and get a quote.

Could always call up your local Chamber of Commerce and get leads.
  8. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

The first thing you should do is do a soil test this will help with what your soil is requesting. Then work on a program that fits your soil’s needs