1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help with foam tires?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ojonesy, Sep 4, 2002.

1. ojonesy

ojonesy LawnSite Member

Has anyone experienced problems with foam filled front casters on zero turn machines? I had some 13x500x6 and 13x650x6 (Exmark Lazer) filled and they shake, rattle & roll on the turf. I've heard of this on the asphalt but not turf. I have to stop and start over again. Do you think this is caused by the added weight, approx. 20 lbs ea. or a problem with the yoke/spindles etc. ( not the foam filled tires).
    Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
  2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

When I had my front tires filled, the place that did it for me said they had to remove the tires because the tires have to "cure" lying on their side in order for there not to be flat or heavy spots. So that may have something to do with it if they weren't off and lying down when they were curing. Another possibility is, and this is what happened to me, when they took the tires off, the removed the bolt and bearing sleeve that the bearing rides on ... well, they forgot to put the bearing sleeve back in ... was wondering why the tires were bouncing and wobbling :dizzy:
  3. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Also, depending on the usage and age of the machine, you might need to replace the brass yoke bearings, if they are worn, that could give you a wobble also.
  4. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

OEM foam filled tires that come on the machine are not worth it in my opinion. Have GrassHopper ZTR mowers with 72" decks and the tires wear out quickly (too small). GH switched to larger tires on their decks this year. Have replaced OEM foam tires with regular air tires and tubes. You cannot replace the foam filled without having them already on rims (lots of $$$$) or having the tires filled at a tire dealer with foam.
    You can buy a lot of 'air' tires and tubes for the money of foam filled also. Air tires also give a better ride IMO. I know there are a lot of guys who swear by the foam filled tires but we do not like them.