Help with french drain

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rogerslawn, Jan 3, 2004.

1. rogerslawn

rogerslawn LawnSite Member

:blob2: I have been contracted to install a French drain. I have some knowledge but have never actually installed one. There is a 20' gutter that will be running into it as well as a yard drain. I only have 15' between the house and the property line with underground utilities in the same area. The lawn is only a year old and under water all the time side/back 48' by 62'. The back I plan to bring in a substantial amount of soil. Plenty of room to raise grade. The side yard is the problem 15' by 36' no room to raise grade.
  2. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Call utilities and hand dig
    What is the yard drain attached to?
  3. rogerslawn

The drain needs to be installed at the same time. both drains need to be connected.
  4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

give us a pic Would be much easier
  5. rogerslawn

I do not have a digital camera.From the house to the property line there is a 2' grade difference.
  6. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

A 2 inch grade difference where? where is the pipe ending? When installing the drain dig the hole twice as large as normal id say about 24" wide at least 18 inches deep, drop gravel pipe and gravel then bring in your soil, make sure property drains out before you bring in soil, there may be settling after. What yur pitch when bring in new soil, make sure it grades away from house and dont bring in too much that neighbors will complain and call town. might want to apply for a what ever permit the town requires first, dig by hand near utilities call company first and have them do a mark out...Instead of using teh black corrigated pipe use the white PVC with the hole punched in top....that stuff is grade a material....little more expensive but wont have to worry about crushing it or it collapsing....ok well good lucj cant give any more infor with out mor einfo or pics so i hope this helps.
  7. Keith Howells

Keith Howells LawnSite Member

8. rogerslawn

There is a 2 foot grade difference. The high point is at the house and we cannot tap into sanitary so the pipe will end as far as I need it to go thats why I need sugestions. Thank you.
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

One other suggestion: We use Petramat (similar to landscape fabric) to line the hole prior to laying in washed rock. keeps the soil from contaminating the washed rock and plugging the drain.