Help with getting new Stihl km85r to start on 1st or 2nd pull.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BryPaulD, Aug 25, 2005.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I put the machine on start which by the way I don't understand why when you switch it to start the button can still slide farther than the word start. I put the machine on full choke and push the primer bulb about 7 or 8 times and then pull pull pull pull. Then put it on moderate choke, betwwen 1/2 and none and pull pull pull, fire quit. pull pull pull. I do get it going and it runs touchy until I fidget the choke to the right spot. let it warm up and it runs strong. Can someone assist me with this? Am I doing something wrong here? Thank you

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Is this a new model Stihl, 4mix by chance. If it is normal 2 stroke you shouldn't need to prime it, just choke it full until it starts. But I guess you have probably tried everything. It takes about 4 -6 pulls on all our units and then when they start we have to move the choke back and forth several times until it get going. However, all our units are older, and same with Echo. Only got one unit that starts on first pull Shindawa T270.

3. BryPaulD

from MI

no, it's not a four mix, that's the 110. Mine is fairly new, I bought it used from a fellow that only used it for about 4 hours

4. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe that's why he only used it for four hours :dizzy:

Try priming it once or twice. Sounds like engine floods, then finally clears.

5. BryPaulD

from MI

Lol, I was thinking that after I posted. No he just liquidated a bunch and is going to move into other avenues. I was thinking that flood thing too because of the pull pull pull and it wouldn't matter what area I had the choke on. It's been sitting in the shed for two days now unstarted, I should run out and try it out? I do have the spark arrestor screen in it. Would it help to remove it, or it doesn't really matter? Thanks again

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

That normal for stihl hard to start.

7. BryPaulD

from MI

O.k. I think I have it figured out (laugh if you want) or I may still have it wrong? I pgot it started after about 8-10 pulls on what I thought was full choke (tab down or away from me). Moved tab tword me, (up) and it died. Put tab in the middle and fired back up 1-2 pulls. Thought I'd let it run a sec and moved tab twordme again (up) and it died. Put tab back in middle and fired it up, 1 pull. Let run a sec, listening to it, watching it blow the lil white/blue smoke, (not much). I moved the tab down (away from me) and it still ran good, so I pulled the trigger and it took right off, no hesitation like before (tab in the middle) would quit for 1/2 sec and take right off. So I don't have the owner's manual and this is the first Stihl product I've owned. So ultimate question I guess, is the choke full all the way toward me (up), or down (away from me)? Thanks again.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well sounds like you got it figured out but clean or replace the spark plug and air filter. Usually helps them start quicker. To answer that question, take off the aircleaner and move the lever back and forth. If you know anything about engines then when the plate is closed over the carb opening, that is full choke.

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Take your are filter out and look and see where tab is in relation with the choke.

10. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

you got it before me and i have cox high speed