Help with Grass Seed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Scott_Abel, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Scott_Abel

Scott_Abel LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I had a question for you experts...

I recently built a new home, but did not have the money at the time to do much landscaping/sod. I live on 5 acres in the country, so I am not looking for a manicured yard - just anything green that will hold the dirt in place and keep the dust down. I live in Central Texas in an area with rocky soil.

I spread rye grass seed over about 3 acres in November. The part right around the house I watered with a sprinkler, and it came up nice, green, and thick right away. The seed that I didn't water also came up nice, green, and thick, just not as fast.

Of course, now that we are getting into summer, the rye grass is dying. So, about a month ago, I spread out bermuda seed, hoping it would fill in for the summer. Well, it is not coming up anything like the ryegrass, and we had some decent rains earlier in the month. Since I don't have a sprinkler system and it is such a big area, I don't have any way to water it on a regular basis. But, after how easy the rye filled in, I didn't think the bermuda would be such a problem.

All that to ask, is there another type of seed I could spread that would come in over the summer months easily? Maybe I am just spoiled with the ease of the rye grass, but is there anything similar to that will grow during the summer? I am open to any suggestions - even something other people would just consider weeds.

Thanks in advance for any help. This site is always a great resource, and I appreciate the help I have been given here in the past.