Help with Grasshopper price

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Ohmylord, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Ohmylord

Ohmylord LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a 2001 Grasshopper 618 with 48" deck. It has 500 hours on it and they are asking just over $4000. Is that a fair price?

I'd also be curious about a good price for the same model new, especially if I could pick one up this fall when dealers are trying to thin out their inventory.

I have an acre to mow and have quite a bit of trimming so I'm pretty set on getting a front-mount mower.

Thanks.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

#1 you don't want a 600 series.
    #2 that price is insane!

i bought mine in Lawrence and got a great deal on it. I love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything

3. Ohmylord

Ohmylord LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. What's wrong with the Grasshopper 600 series? I figure I'll use it 50 hours a year max, and I'm just mowing one acre. Do I need to step up to the 700 series?

I'll be replacing a JD LX277. I'd like to be able to mow faster, but also have a lot of large Austrian pines that I need to mow around. That's why I'm looking at a front-mount model.

4. PLM-1

oh ya...the 600 would be great for just that. not commercially though. sorry for the confusion

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Price seems a little hight to me. Have you checked what a new one costs. I would try to get it for $3500.00.
    It is a great little homeowner machine.

6. PLM-1

A new 600 is about 7500-9000 depending on options. the base 700 series starts at about 10000. the transmissions suck on the 600. they aren't even the crappy gemini. the gemini isn't THAT bad just really noisy.