help with grassy weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnbridge, Apr 17, 2007.

1. lawnbridge

lawnbridge LawnSite Member

This is my first season of spraying and now I am getting hammered with grassy weeds. Need some feedback on what you guys use. I live in Texas and temp right now is averaging about 75-77 degrees. I have been told to use MSMA when temp is consistently over 80. Help

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I will bump you along I am interested in answer.....always thought MSMA won't work until it get almost in the 90F?

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

If your spraying zoysia or bermuda, your not supposed to spray when temps are over 90. The temps you posted are ideal for msma. Also tells you turf tolerance will vary with different zoysia cultivars.

4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you already have the MSMA as it is no longer available for sale. Drive or Acclaim Extra are other options.

5. Shades of Green LService

What are you talking about? My dealer has a fresh new stock of Trimec Plus ai. MSMA. However, i wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

6. cemars

MSMA has lost EPA registration, the stuff your vendor has isn't fresh or it has something else other than MSMA for grassy weed post, but I won't miss it either.

7. Shades of Green LService

ai. MSMA 18% , but maybe it is not " fresh" I was going to switch to Q4 this year anyway

8. cemars

I started using Q4 last summer and already reorderd for this year, a little pricey but a great product, hopefully I won't need much!

9. Shades of Green LService

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how well it does. It's gotten good reviews on here. We'll see.

10. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

Wow, don't spray MSMA on bermuda when temps are over 90, to think I have been doing that for 20 years with excellent results, quite the contrary down here - the hotter the better, it's the morning temps that get too cool right now that affect it, I generally won't start using it until mid May. that said when I run out this year I will learn about a few other products.