Help with Gravel Measurment Conversions.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Aug 27, 2005.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. So ive set up a excel sheet that does my conversions but i cant figure this one out.

length x width = sq foot

Then divide that number by 12 to get cubic ft?

Then divide cubic feet by 27 to get total yards needed.

Convert to tons by dividing yards by 1.5.

How do u factor in depth. Some help would be great please..

Who ever helps me can have my conversion chart, free of charge

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

length X width X depth gives you cubic whatever (feet, inches, yards, meters, etc.)

Not sure were that divide by twelve came from?

And yes, if you have a number in cubic feet you can convert to cubic yards by dividing by 27 or (3 feet x 3 feet x 3 feet). Get it??????????

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

BTW, a 'ton' is a measurement of weight (i.e. 2000 pounds). How the heck can you convert to LxWxD without knowing what the product is.

Not trying to be rude....but....I believe you need to brush up on your math skills a little more.

4. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

Simple,
    3/8" rock covers 175sqt.
    5/8" or 1/2" covers 150sqft
    3/4" covers 110sqft.
    Lxw/ size of rock.
    I estimate, sell and install rock everyday. It is simple. Oh, those figures give 2" coverage.
    Example: a 50'x60' yard is 3000sqft. divide by 150 and you get 20 tons of 1/2 rock to cover 2" deep. I also keep in mind that here at least, a end dump carries 21 tons max, a transfer carries 24 tons, so to avoid charges to deliver an extra 2 tons when the math says I need 25 tons, a make 24 tons work. It is not like concrete, there is room to fudge either up or down. I do it so much that I play a game in my head and look at the yard come up with a figure and then see how close I come when I measure. I am usually within a couple tons.

5. CrewCutEnterprises

oops posted twice

6. CrewCutEnterprises

repost oops

7. CrewCutEnterprises

O my math skills suck! And I appologize in advance for anthing that sounds dumb.

Thats why im creating a table. So i can have some one estimate simple jobs.

Also I got the 1.5 from a local gravel yard. I was told that 1.4 to 1.6 tons is equivilant to 1 yard or there so. So I used 1.5 as the number to use.

Check these equations.

50 x 10 ft Driveway is 500 square feet.
    its 6 1/6 yards or roughly 4 1/9 tons of 3/4 inch blue stone at a 4 inch depth
    Its 16.80 a ton from the gravel yard. I was charging $50.00 ton installed for driveways.

so 50 x 10 x 4 inch depth would cost $205.76 Installed. Plus $100.00 for landscape fabric underneath @ .02 a sq ft.

Any of this sound ok??

Desert rat, Explain your gravel install. So u use the size of the rock, so 1/4 and 3/4 take different amounts in tons to make the same depth??

8. CrewCutEnterprises

Ok so your 3000 Sq ft driveway per say

3/8 inch rock is 17.1 tons
    5/8 or 1/2 takes 20 tons
    and 3/4 takes 27.2 tons

Right, how do you figure it out for say 3 or 4 inches. Thanks for working with me

9. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

Well, 1/2" covers 150sqft. 2" deep, so for 4" it covers around 75sqft. 3" depth around 100sqft. I don't think it necessary to figure in yards and then convert to tons, if you are buying in tons. I agree that one yard is approx. 1.5 tons. You might want to get a construction calculator(yellow) from Home Depot, as it figures tons for you. I use it all the time. You just input length,width, depth, and it convert to tons.

10. CrewCutEnterprises

Thanks alot!!!