help with hedge removal

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by miketina, Nov 25, 2005.

1. miketina

miketina LawnSite Member

Hello all,
    I need some advice with removing the hedges in my front yard. They board the front of the house on both sides of the front porch. They are about three feet tall and are planted in a bed about a foot above the ground surrounded by a brick border about a foot and a half tall.
    Can someone please advise me on the proper way to remove these hedges. I want to replace with grass when finished.
    This will also give me good practice if one of my customers need the service next season. I will be new to the business just starting out.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

first you need to determine what type of hedges they are. Different plants have different root structure, longer taproots, etc. What is the approximate age of the plant, trunk size, etc?

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Post some pics for your answer to be answered correctly.

4. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Dont bother cutting the roots on the house side, make a few deep cuts aroud each bust, tie to car or truck, pull slowly..........:blush:

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search with the key words "shrub" and "pulling" and/or "puller."

6. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

I just did a job where I took out red tips about the thing were over grown and were about 5 feet tall. I first cut them down to about 1 foot tall or to the point where you could work and have somthing to push on. Next bought a land scapers axe and went to work the whole job took 8 hours thats with hauling way. I took as much as I could out and I also had to clean the gardens they were in. I was happy with what I charged I think that it was not to bad as long as you dont mind some had work, but there again if you want to make somthing of your self hard work is alway there. Just dig and cut as you find roots and try to remove as much of the root base and you should be ok for next year.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Chainsaw and backhoe if you want to have fun doing it, lol, i agree, post some pics so we can get a better idea of what your up against.

8. mcwlandscaping

Chainsaw and backhoe if you want to have fun doing it, lol, i agree, post some pics so we can get a better idea of what your up against.

9. mcwlandscaping

srry it double posted!

10. miketina

miketina LawnSite Member

Thanks eevryone. I will post some pics asap.