Help with herbicide costing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ajmctree, May 9, 2005.

1. ajmctree

ajmctree LawnSite Member

I've had my pesticide licsence for the last couple of years ,almost exclusiveily for fertilizer application,ferrous sulphate and maybe couple of times roundup on cracks in the drive way ,just regular stuff.
    Well today while out with my family i had the owner of the local concrete facility ask about rounduping there grounds in some of the bad spots to clean it up . The grounds of there facility maybe 5 acres but the need for a herbicide application will be greatly less .
    My question is this . how do most people charge for something like this , the cost of the product plus markup with labour, by the square foot or just throw a number out .
    This type of application is new to to me so i'm unsure how to go about it .
    Any assistance is appreciated.

Ajmctree

2. You asked a complex question, I will give a simple answer, but there is a lot left to be said on the subject.

Step One: Determine the cost of your product. Go out and measure the areas to be treated and get a square footage. Then figure out how much product you need to treat that area and how much you will pay for it.

Step Two: Determine labor time to complete job. You know what equipment you have, and probably have an idea how long it will take to do the job. Put a dollar figure per man hour on it and add that that much.

Step Three: Some portion of your price should go toward your operating expenses, don't neglect this.

Step Four: Markup your initial bid a little so you have some room to haggle.

On the other hand, you could call a large national chain lawn service and have them bid to subcontract it.