Help with hiring a Salesperson

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Blackburn Lawn, Jun 29, 2012.

1. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

Great example of someone who wants something for nothing....
    It takes money to make money. I have a deal with all of my workers that who ever brings in customers will get X% of commission on the job for X amount of time. PLUS obviously have the opportunity to work the job and get money for that. It works great. Some of the guys do it and some dont. I dont look at anyone any differently..

I just feel if the workers want a job here they should all be contributing to the business.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I want to know more about this? Finders fee or on-going commision?

3. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

Commission for a SIGNED contract! That is NOT on the full amount of the contract its on the gross amount that the company makes AFTER materials... By al means the amont isnt A lot but my workers like the fact of taking home an extra 1,2,3 hundred bucks for doing absolutely nothing.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Just asking.

5. Blackburn Lawn

Blackburn Lawn LawnSite Member

I know that I am very late in this response but I appreciate everyone's feedback. Even lazor-cuts feedback even though he started off with a pretty rude comment "great example of someone who wants something for nothing."

I do have the money to be able to float sales commissions upfront, I do have a system that I use to big larger jobs but it does involve some industry knowledge, which is not good for a new salesperson. In the last year I have had a few young sales people come and go strictly in residential clients but not success to write home about. I am still looking for that "jump" into real commercial sales but have not found it yet.

What kind of commission do experienced companies pay for larger contracts? ($25,000-250,000/year)

I would like to pay a small based salary ($20,000 + commission) but I'm just not sure what it should be.