1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with HOA bid PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckydooley, Feb 12, 2008.

1. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

I am famialiar with the area but have not personally measured it. According to the bid specs it is approx. 69,000 sq feet. Here is a summary of the specs:

Lawn maintenance weekly April thru September then as required to include Cutting, Edging, Trash pickup.

Weed control / fertilization: Four times. Can be subbed out which I will do because I dont have proper license this year.

Spring / Fall planting (labor only) of flower beds of four entrances (small sized). Weed monthly, trim hedges at two of flower beds and maintain crape myrtles at two flower beds.

Its a year round contract, Im thinking around $1000 - $ 1500 a month. Is this reasonable / in the ballpark?

Thanks for help/replys!
  2. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Did you just pull those numbers from the air or is their some reasoning behind them? $1000-$1500 is a pretty big spread. You need to break this bid down into several smaller jobs and then price out each job, and then add everything together to get your bid amount. Also what kind of mow schedule is April thru Sept? The first thing I would do is figure out how many trips per year I am going to make to this HOA. My HOAs are mostly 43 visits per year. Weekly March thru November then biweekly December, January and February. Then figure out how much you would charge to mow this property just once, (when I say mow I include edging, string trimming and blowing) say $125. After you have that amount multiply it by the number of visits you planned on, in my case 43. For me it might look like this. $125 x 43 visits=$5375 Now divide the 5375 by 12 months for your monthly cost to mow, $447.92 per month just for the mowing. Then repaet with all other services. Will you pick up trash each visit? Then figure out how long you expect to spend doing that, say 15 minutes. If you want to average 40 per hour then the charge for 15 minutes of trash pick up each visit is $10. $10 X 43 visits=$430 / 12 months=$35.84
    For the weed control and fert you need to get your guy out there to get you a cost per visit, multiply it by 4 visits and then divide that plus any markup you add to it by 12 months. Same with spring and fall planting, estimate how long it will take and then multiply that by your hourly rate to get your cost per occurance. You will be doing the planting twice, once in the spring and once in the fall so add the two together and divide by 12 months. Do that for every service and then add everything together to get your monthly rate. I have a spread sheet I use to help me figure this out but its got to be done one way or another. If you just randomly pick a number you will struggle.
  3. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Armadillo! I am working on breaking it down now. Your advice has helped. Could you share your spreadsheet with me? Also HOA is wanting annual self-renewing contract with penalty clause for each occurance of non-compliance. I am also working on that, any input is appreciated. Thanks for advice!
  4. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto....that is pretty much how we figure bids out too.
  5. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I need your email address and then I am happy to send you my template. The annual self renewing contract is sweet because that means they don't want to have to bid it out each year. As long as they are happy with you you keep the business. I put in my contracts that they renew automatically each year unless 30 day notice is given by either party prior to end of contract. That also gives you the chance to get out or force a rebid or renegotion if you find you really screwed yourself with your original bid. As far as a penalty clause goes I have not had one of those yet but I would try get put in along with the penallty clause that you must be given one warning in writting of noncompliance and that you get a chance to take care of it prior to being penalized. I also would want it spelled out what the infractions would be and the penalty amount associated with each occurance.
  6. DeSotoLawns.com

DeSotoLawns.com LawnSite Member

Kevin, I sent you a message off of your website, seeking some help with an HOA bid. Sounds like you are an expert with the verbage and conditions on your current contracts.