1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with hole in the ground

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tahufford61, May 19, 2006.

1. tahufford61

tahufford61 LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to give an estimate tommorrow on a hole that is 10ft by 8ft by 4 feet deep, how do I figure out how much top soil it will require. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Total fill should be 320 foot cubed. divided by 27 = 11.85. 12 yards of fill.
  3. GreenCutsLawnCare

GreenCutsLawnCare LawnSite Member

Calculating volume
    length x width x depth = cubic feet
    1 cubic yard = 27 cubic feet
    10 x 8 x 4 = 320 cubic feet
    320 / 27 = 11.9 yards

I hope this helps.. I would get a little more than 12 yards if I were you because once things are compacted than you might still be left with a hole.
  4. RD592

RD592 LawnSite Member

12yds X 1.5 For compaction factor. So you are looking at about 18 yards @ semi compacted material.
  5. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

if its an area that is not going to be planted, i would use some fill material. then top soil over it...like the people said, 11 to 12 yds, so i would get 7 yds of fill , and top dress it with 5yds of good top soil..this saves you some money on the install...most people dont care just dont fill it with stones or waste material.. i like to use sand fill.. if its going to be planted other then lawn, dont do it!!
  6. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

If you need to plant just grass, all you need is 2 yds loam and the rest can be fill. Just make sure you do several lifts and water while you are filling or use a compactor.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Ponds are very profitable, Bring your hose--fill the hole with water- $3500.00 for creating a pond-

VWBOBD LawnSite Member

9. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

Dont Forget The Goldfish!!!
  10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Tell the customer another yard or two might have to brought in after it settles good. Then you are covered if it happens.