1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowman22, May 4, 2002.

1. mowman22

mowman22 LawnSite Member

I'm having a problem with my hustler walkbehind. The walkbehind won't track straight. I tried mowing a flat level area and the mower keeps veering to the left. I tried spraying the steering linkage with WD-40 and that didn't help. So I adjusted the steering linkage back to neutral like the manual says and it still didn't help:angry: I called the local dealer and he said with the machines hours (360), that there was no way it was a pump. Can anyone tell me something I maybe missing to look for?:confused:

p.s. I also made sure the tire pressure was correct
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If your neutrals are adjusted correctly and it still pulls to one side, it could be a pump arm loose.
    Remove both pump arms and inspect for wear, also check the shafts they are on.
    You may also want to check the tension on the springs while your there.
    Reinstall the arms and tighten, and re-adjust
    If that does not do it then we will have to look at the pump.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I have two WB's and have done extensive mods to them. They are the best. OK, now, correct tire pressure doesn't mean it will track straight. Tires are not made to perfect sizes. There are two ways to find the problem. First, you can take white duck tape, or similar marking tape, and apply a strip to the top of each rear tire tread. Next, force the machine to run in a straight line. The marks on each tire should stay in sync and in the same place with each other as you go forward. If they don't stay exactly the same, increase or decrease tire pressure to get them to stay in sync for 100 feet. To adjust the tire pressure, the faster turning tire needs more air, or the slower turning tire needs less air.
    Next, you might want to buy a good air gauge. I'm running 8 lb., in each tire and I have a "Yamaha" professional motorcycle gauge that will accurately measure down to about 2 lb.. Remember, just 1.5 lb. air pressure difference between tires, will cause the machine not to track straight.
    Next, it's very possible to have the zero setting (stop) not accurately adjusted, which will allow one pump to start before the other and is not easily detected if you just start the machine going forward.. If one pump starts before the other it will never track through the speed ranges correctly. You can check this by rolling on the forward speed "very slow" and making sure the machine starts moving straight, right away.
    Another way to check this is to start from the stopped position and hold the bar firmly without letting it move and twist the bar like you are making a turn and check to make sure each wheel starts turning (one forward, one backward) at the exact same time.
    Finally, if there is any play in the spring stops for the steering, allowing either the "spring itself" to have play between the bar, or the bar stops to have play between "it" and spring, the machine will not track true. Along with this, I had to take out the bar of one of my machines and sand the bushing because it did not allow the bar to rotate freely, and it would not center perfectly. I realize there's allot of info here, but you sound as though you are picky like I am, and "one" of these solutions will find your problem.
    Ending, if you expect the machine to track straight, while going on the side of a slope, this will not happen. With the hydraulics of the pumps, there is some loss of power as soon as you load the system, So, the machine will always drift toward the bottom of the slope, regardless of which direction you move across it. This is very easy to see by the fact that as you go straight up a slop more power is needed to maintain speed.
    Good luck,
    For Pete's Sake