help with id weed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cutbetterthanyou, Mar 27, 2010.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure what this is. It was tall and clumpie before i cut the yard now it is just yellow clumps every where. Does anyone know what it is, or a free online guide? P.S I don't do this as part of my bussness i mostly just cut grass, so if it it is something common please don't get on me.

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

cutbettrerthanwho?
    The photo is a little muddled and out of focus compared to the back ground.
    Can you take a better photo on some white paper in the back ground.
    It doesn't look like poa annua to me..........that weed in your hand seems to be more round in stem and looks waxy in texture. The things are growing in clumps!!!!
    Get back with us.

4. Rhizomatous

Rhizomatous LawnSite Member
    from Ma

I agree with Think Green...if you could provide a couple better pictures it may more helpful in your id

5. tombo82685

tombo82685 LawnSite Senior Member

Its either poa triv or poa reptans. They both look pretty much the same. Boat like tip, pretty large membranous ligule, folded in the bud. One aspect where they differ from each other is poa triv sheath is split further down then poa reptans. Also, poa triv has rhizomes, while poa reptans doesn;t

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  6. cutbetterthanyou

Maybe these help

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

7. cutbetterthanyou

BTW how do you get rid of it?

8. cutbetterthanyou

HELP!!! Anyone one this weekend? Are the pics good or do you need more or of a certain part of the plant?

9. tombo82685

tombo82685 LawnSite Senior Member

can you get a pic where the grass isnt mowed. If it is in the poa family some of the key identifications are the tip of the grass blade, also the ligule.

In terms of control, if its poa their is a chemical that takes poa annua out its called velocity, but im probably sure you can't get that. Just looking at your pics if that was me, i would just spot spray it with glyphosate since the patches are small. Get the dead grass out and re-seed the patch area. Chemically wise its hard to remove grass from grass with non selective herbicides because their genetic makeup is almost identical.

10. cutbetterthanyou

All of my yard has been cut but maybe buy the time it is ready to mow again the tips will be able to be seen. I was thinking of just killing it off but i was getting ready to put a sign out front and didn't want the dead spots. If i can get it, will the velocity leave spots? Can i get it from lesco?