1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

help with id

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bug-guy, Aug 22, 2008.

1. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

this is an oak leaf, sorry the picture is not good.

oak leaf.JPG

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Are you talking about the burnt tip? In my area it would be salt burn, possibly too much water.

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

it's the under side of the leaf soft insects

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Looks like a Ford truck seat. :laugh: What type of oak? The pattern probably rules out disease pustules, so my guess is a type of gall. Stretching here....best guess is gall caused by mites. Need to know what oak, then research. ???

5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I'm sayin' Nissan :laugh:

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

You're sure they're insects?

7. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Just a Gall (?) spelling,. Could be a parasitic wasp unsightly but generally does no damage to the tree. Nothing you can spray or do far as I know.

8. Prometheus

Prometheus LawnSite Member
    from EDEN FL

Gall wasps (Cynipidae), also called Gallflies, are a family of the order Hymenoptera and are classified with the Apocrita suborder of wasps in the superfamily Cynipoidea. About 1300 species of this generally very small creature (1-8 millimeters) are known worldwide, with about 360 species of 36 different genera in Europe and some 800 species in North America.