1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with identifying shrub.....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by palawnman, Apr 2, 2007.

1. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am not great with identifying shrubs...any and all help appreciated....I was thinking it is an Ilex Glabra...wanted to be sure

IDbush 001.jpg
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know it's a type of boxwood, thou you probably knew that, I'm just saying it in case it helps as identifying the species can be easier if you know the family (or something to that effect).

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I'll say that's a Glabra.
  4. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i believe its an ilex(holly) not of the buxus(boxwood) family. it looks to be ilex glabra from what i can see
  5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Japanese Pittosporum, Mock Orange
    Pittosporum tobira

Attached Files:

6. palawnman

from PA

Thanks for the feedback so far guys..another question. How can you tell if it is a Chamzin, Compacta, or Shamrock? Keep the info coming, the owner ripped up 3 of these bushes by his driveway from plowing, and wants me to replace them, I just want to be 100% sure that it is the same as the other ones that are still there.

7. palawnman

from PA

any other feedback??

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Not compacta, their leaves are much smaller. Cut a branch off and take it to your local nursery and compare is the sure fire way.
  9. thilawncare

thilawncare LawnSite Member

Margin are entire not wavy... does it have black berries.. that is key to glabra.. ummm i was thinking glabra too... It could be a buxus... let me know about berries... Ilex glabra will still have them present...
  10. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

Looks like a Shamrock Inkberry (Ilex glabra 'Shamrock'), but be careful there are several different types of Inkberry. Do you have to match it up with other plants? It's kind of hard to tell how tall it is by the pic. NOT A BOXWOOD OR MOCK ORANGE.