help with insurance quote

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mowtown Mike, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

A friend of mine would like a estimate on replacing some bushes that were knocked down from a car that spun out of control and took out his mothers shrubs in front of her house. He wanted to submit the quote to the insurance company.
    I am not sure how to price replacing 20 year old six foot tall bushes. I might be able to transplant existing ones. I am not sure what to bid for this situation.
    The hedge to be fixed is about 6 foot long, approx. 5 bushes. The driveway needs a little bit of stone (item 4). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mowtown Mike

2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of bushes,years completely irrelevant.what stone?????.10000000000$dollars.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

add a couple of zeros to that price, dont lowball !!

4. crab

1000000000000000000$super high class!

5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would bid it like any other job but allowing for mature shrubbery.
    Mike

6. crab

good advice mike.real solid.

7. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

An adjuster will have a book that gives apx. cost for this job on an average of the whole country. You may be high or low as this is an average. I can tell you this though, depending on their deduct amount, it may not matter. Figure you bid 1000.00 and the deduct is 500 or 1000(mine is 2000), it won't matter. Don't let yourself be pressured into over doing it for your friend, it may be noted by the adjuster as most of them work for private companies, not the INS CO., they are subs. Good luck finding the mature bushes.

8. Mike33

Mike

9. Mike33

I will go a little more detail. I was in auto body business for 12 years before i started this company. People are a pita on ins. work. In the car business they felt you should make up there ded. that is bull due to they chose there ded. when they purchased there policy. A 15 year old car gets hit and needs a door and fender. They get lkq ( used ) and sometimes far from perfect but the rest of there car might of been well worn also.
    So here in this business some one has 30' overgrown wild shrub they really didnt care about now is supposed to be worth big bucks. How ever many times are leg. nursery stock that did get damaged you can only due your best to price something close in size. This should be the same price structure you normally use weather ins. or homeowner pays. That would be like having different price structures for 2 different housing developments. Then what happens in most cases the homeowner decides to pocket the money and feels they can go to lowes and buy that shrubbery, and throw it in the ground them selves. Remember xmas is around the corner and people are looking for money.
    Mike

10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If somebody else's car did this, we are not talking deductibles here. The car owner or his insurance will pay for the whole thing.

The deductible would have been if it was the homeowner's own problem, dealing with homeowner's insurance.

Bid it to replace with the same size, including removal of the old stuff.

I just did a bid for a situation that did have a deductible. A squirrel caused an electical fire that spread between two properties, finally damaging landscape trees. The homeowners had a $500 limit per tree.

I still bid it for what it was worth, and let them go from there. Each tree was worth more than $500, and I bid $5000 at least for 3 thirty foot tall trees. Final estimate was $16,000. There were about 16 trees, and I'm sure they settled at $8,000

Again, that was a different beast. The point is - just bid it for what it's worth.

But if a car hit it, the insurance company - other person's - will need to replace what's there.