1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with Insurance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jeffthurow, Aug 17, 2005.

1. jeffthurow

jeffthurow LawnSite Member

Can any of you help me out with insurance info. My wife and I will be venturing into self employment and will need health insurance for us and four kids. Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of policies and premiums I may be looking at? Good place to start? :dizzy:
  2. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I carry Blue Cross Blue Shield. Pretty good plan. 80% / 20% on medical and 60% / 40% on prescriptions. Runs about $1600 a year. That's just for me though, no family.

3. farmerphilco

farmerphilco LawnSite Member

I do not sell health insurance but I have many contacts that do and they will help you find the bet plan for you. If interested contact me by e-mail. Something that a life and health agent can help you with is disability insurance. Something that is looked over by most but if and when something does happen that prevents you from working this really helps out. You may also want to look into getting work comp. for yourself, if one of these is cheaper than the other I would go with the cheapest. They both have their pro's over the other but they are very valuable when put to use. You may also have a "ghost" work comp policy that covers no one which means it will cover temporary hires when you reach the point that you need someone to work but not full-time. This prevents you from being sued if a temp is injured.