Help with JD 757 versus Super B Decision

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigSkyMower, Jun 26, 2008.

1. BigSkyMower

BigSkyMower LawnSite Member

Had a chance to demo 60" 757 and Super B on five acres today. Equivalent, high quality cut on lawn area at about 2.5 - 3". However, the rest of the property was cut at 4" by both machines.

The Super B did not scalp as much, had better trim depth and visibility near fences and obstacles, had more intuitive drive controls, weighed less, had better transmission(s), and outstanding blade access. However, with a 4" cut in about 12" mixed pasture grass, the 7-Iron II deck did a much better job than the apparent Triton Knock-off used by Walker. The 7-Iron gave a perfectly even cut in all grass thicknesses and at all speeds. The Walker would leave strips of grass anytime it got loaded. Also, the grass dispersion from the discharge was not even close. The 7-Iron threw the clippings about 10 feet--the Walker had difficulty reaching 4-5 feet.

JD and Walker are the only two strong dealers in my area. Any recommendations from your experiences?

2. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

First off, never particularly run Waker mowers

Just from observation I'll see the Walkers doing polite upscale mowing, and for that they do an excellent cut. The bigger Deere's are set up for more institutional and industrial type mowing, where powering through the terrain is more important

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

If you can still get a 7 series jump on it

4. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Super B is starting to make a name for itself here. Alot of guys reallly like it.

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

When you say better transmissions do you mean the response and handling?
    The pumps and wheel motors on the 757 should be more durable than the integrated units on the walker.

6. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

i love my quik Trak. i bough a 06' new and it came with the 7 Iron II deck. They do a great job with dispersing the grass and they are indestructible. There are no weld joint that could break from a hard impact.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Why in the hell would you be running into things?

8. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

...............ok?

9. BigSkyMower

BigSkyMower LawnSite Member

May have just discovered one reason for the 'strips of grass' from the Super B. The 60" 7-Iron has 21" blades while the Super B has 20.5" blades. Both have big wing blades but the 7-Iron also has more of a gull wing design.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just go back and read your review? Especially the part about actually cutting grass. You should allready have your mind made up. That 757 wouldn't last long in some dealerships (sold).