help with kawi oil leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by s_gdsmith, Mar 26, 2008.

1. s_gdsmith

s_gdsmith LawnSite Member

I have a Kawasaki fh500v 05. I have an oil leak coming from the lower part of the motor, but I can't tell exactly where. The oil is on the front and the front left of the motor deck it is leaking pretty bad. Any ideas what it might be and how to fix it.

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 25 HP Kawi that I have had problems with rubber gaskets and O rings.

3. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

try cleaning the motor up real good then run it again. It will help you see where it's coming from.

4. s_gdsmith

s_gdsmith LawnSite Member

gene-which gaskets and orings and what did you do about it

indy- i have already done that and still cant tell

5. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

yep--i had the same problem. i kept noticing a build-up of grime on the deck, and finally got to the bottom of it. it was the gasket just above the oil pan. not too expensive for the gasket, but unfortunately requires an engine tear-down to get to. i would go ahead and replace the o-rings while you're at it. but that completely solved the problem for mine!

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I don't exactly know which O rings caused my problems. It was on the top end mostly. My dealer pulled the engin and started stripping it down. I have also had a problem with the oil pressure sentcer leaking.

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Oil sump gasket. Just another common problem with kawajunky engines.

8. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

That's most likely what it is. Bummer is you have to pull the engine off the mower to replace the sump gasket.

9. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Im haveing the same problem with my kawi 21hp.. im just going to take the engine off and reseal it

10. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

wile you guys have the engine off dont forget to replace the governer shaft seal also. there is an update on it. just another problem with the kawajunkies. they just dont put enough r&r into there engines. the lc are great engines but those fh engines are junk. never seen one go over 1200 hr's