Help with Landscape Design. First Design Project I have had.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Mxrider52, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mxrider52

Mxrider52 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Hey I am looking for some advice on how to go about designing this property. This is the first landscape design project I have had. Most of the time I am just maintaining the landscape already there.

I have some pictures of the property and what I want to do. Take a look at the pictures and give me an idea of what you would do or plant. Obviously we have to spray to kill all the grass but basically what I want is something that is low maintenance as far as plants go. Nothing that is going to grow overly huge or need trimmed all the time. I am thinking probably the same type of plant and flowers all across the front? Just give me suggestions of how you would design this.

This picture is of the front of the whole house. I need to redo the whole front. The 2 plants will be removed and we will mulch it all the way across with the addition of new plants and flowers. The stone pathway can be removed. It does not have to stay. Or we were thinking maybe just fill it in with mulch? Or would you take the stones and line the flowerbed edge with them?
    [​IMG]

In this image this is the right side of the front of the house and butts into the driveway. From the front porch step to the driveway it measures 15 ft. The plant will be removed and additional plants will be added. I was thinking 2 plants with some colorful flowers? and how far would you bring the mulching out? 4 ft? or would you just leave the pathway there and mulch inside the pathway?
    [​IMG]

In this image this is the left of the front of the house. It measures 23 ft from the step but at the other end is a hillside that drops off to a retaining wall. Here I was thinking 3 plants spaced evenly and colorful flowers. Once again the same question would you bring the mulching out 4 ft? Or how far out would you come?
    [​IMG]

In this image is the side of the house. Right now it has some kind of flowers. I am not sure as they are just starting to come up. But he was just kind of wanting to just mulch it down through there for right now.
    [​IMG]

2. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

Pay someone to do it if you dont have the experience. Save yourself the trouble. Some important questions need to be asked here.

3. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not trying to be mean, but it sounds like you don't have ANY basic knowledge for doing this job. You should first study, on your own, about various plants and about basic design. Try the internet or some books.

4. DLONGLANDSCAPING

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you said you have never done an install. But you really need to have more experience taking on a job like this. I have many different ideas in my head but nothing that a first timer could do. Put in a brickpavers walkway with sleek lines, use the pavers lines as contour lines for your mulch beds, you could come out as much as 6-10 feet away from the house.

Your thinking way to small, your design is going to look like the home owner just wanted some plants planted by himself.

Ask the homeowner what they want to see it look like, and what they are looking to spend. Come up with a rough overhead aerial design, then google, read and research good plants for your hardiness zone, how to plant, what goes together good. Figure how long the job will take you . Look at pictures. and ask someone who knows what they are doing to help you. Learning from experience is great, but not if you get burned.

5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

I'll bet the homeowner probably already gave him some clues. And again, no offense to the OP (everybody has to start somewhere) but if the homeowner wanted something more elaborate, they would be hiring someone with more experience.

6. Mxrider52

from TN

Thanks for the advice. Were not really looking to make a walkway or anything. Either use the stones that are there and redo the pathway or eliminate the stones all together.

That the thing he is not looking to spend tons of money. I know the homeowner and he just wanted me to design something up for him. Were not looking to make a show stopping landscape design just a simple flowerbed with a few plants and flowers. I know how to do the mulching and the bed edging. I just wanted ideas on what kind of plants to plant. He wants something that is going to be low maintenance. He wants me to come up with the design as he is too busy to do it himself.

So forget the planting right now. How would you guys do the beds? Like how would you design the bed? Like how far out would you come? Would you make the bed a straight line all the way across the house or a straight line to the left of the steps and than to the right curve the bed out in front of the pathway to the driveway?

7. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

Aww hell. It seems like you need some work or you wouldnt do it. I am here to help my fellow American. The rocks are crap for walkway. Remove rocks and create an 18inchish drystack bed, level but taper into grade about 12ft from left to right. Make new walkway w/ a mild s to the driveway....use metal bed edging to make the sides...and a base of polyproylene spun fabric....cover walkway w/ a creap crusher stone. Make beds in front of house w/curves...like you remember in the ladies from yer 20s. Not many just one for each side of walkway...curve into the walk to make symetrical flower beds. Fill beds 3 inches w/ mulch...not red...not lava either. Go to home cheepo and get 12 7 gal shrubs that look good..tell the old lady at the depot what yer lookin for in a plant. get some tall ones for the corners. Get 4 flats of some wave petunias or sumptin....6 bags of soil and plant these in an unmulched section on both sides of yer new walkway in front of your new shrubs. water in everything real good. Drink a beer. Get off your rump and spray those horrible weeds. Go around to the other side and bury the drain pipe properly. drink another beer. stop there because your client is out of money. send bill for 1,350.00. Save 300 for when they call to replace some plants. Buy 300.00 in books,c d roms etc. Save 500.00 for the gic conference next fall. 100.00 for gas....that leaves 50.00 for more beer.:drinkup:

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Re-size your photos! I want to help but this thread is giving me a headache.

9. Mxrider52

from TN

Thanks for the info. That helps. I will see what the nursery and home depot have available and go from there. Yea those drain pipes are just laying there. I assume they were extras.

I would if I could. There no edit button on my posts so I cant do anything about it. I always thought there was an edit button but I guess not. :confused:

10. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to be an ass, but if you have to ask I think its out of your element. I looked that your pictures for not even 30 seconds and came up with something that would look exceptional for that property! I'd start with the condition of the grass for starters!