Help with Landscaping Ideas!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tynash, Sep 6, 2005.

1. tynash

tynash LawnSite Member

I am about to finish up the 3rd and final phase of my home landscaping project. I need some ideas of what to put on this side of my house. This side faces East. I live in Columbus, OH. We have hot summers and this side sees sun about half the time. Not a ton of rain around here in the summer.

PLease help with anything you think would be a good option. I want some other ideas other than mine and my wifes.

I tried to post a picture but it said my file size was way too big. What would you all put on the east side of you home?

Thank you,

2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

What type of soil do you have and how much sun does the area get? There are hundreds of plants to chose from, I think you should consider the growth and flowering habits, are you or your wife allergic to bees? if so stay away from plants and shrubs that attract bees. Do you want to attract birds, look into the types of species that do so. Remember don't plant to close to your foundation or air conditioning units. That said, what type of garden are you looking to create, I could come up with a lot of different species but they might not mean anything to you if you are trying to create say a Japanese garden. Give me more specifics, I like to plant trees and shrubs that attract a lot of wild life so I would plant to that specific genera.

David
    O'Donnell Landscaping