Help with large homeowners association bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, Jan 10, 2010.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I am in the process of working on a bid for a HOA. This is my first large bid and am having trouble of where to start or how much discount to give compared to a stand alone home. Here are the details....

51 houses/duplexes mowing- avg .25 ac lot or around 4-5k lawn, going rate for stand alone would be $25-$30 depending on location, all homes grouped together.

2 entrances and pool area mowing- around 2-3 acres, includes medians, recreation area, etc

700 bales of pinestraw 1 time a year. -- usually try to get $2 a bale over cost

preemergents sprayed 4 times a year - I usually only spray twice, but they must want split apps, no request on post emergent but waiting on a call back.

Mowing would be done once a week. Just curious as to how to go about bidding? Any advice would be great.
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

It's one thing to read a guy wanting someone to give them a price on a residential property without seeing it. It's another to want someone to give you a price on a HOA. If you are not sure how to bid the place then you should wait until you've gain more knowledge.
  3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I was looking for tips, not what you would charge!

Do you actually go out and measure everything (lots, driveways, beds, ets)? What about using GIS on the computer and measureing lots and subtracting house size and driveway? What would your estimated charge per acre be for a HOA? $50 per acre?
  4. AzLawnMan

AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member

When I get a large bid for something like this, I will always try and ask them what they were paying, or whats you annual landscape budget. Just tell them you are real motivated and you want there business. I will usually tell them that I will beat there current contract by 5-10% in cost that I control and I will talk to my vendors and see what I can do. If that doesnt work and you cant get any numbers, just adjust your prices. If you normally $25-30 for an average home then you have to look at other factors. These are in bulk. Are they smaller than an average house? Front and back yards? How many man hours are you going to be there per week, how many employees? Also keep in mind the extra money you may make there. Tree's, fertilizer, sprinkler repair,etc. I would say be around $10-15 per unit and go from there on the common areas. But most importantly, HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT IT?

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

You have to bid jobs like this by the hour. Look at it and estimate how many man hours it would take you and multiply that by $30 per man hour (my rate). Also go lower than what you would normally charge. I agree with the above post. Good advice.
  6. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

well with the lowballers up here they would probably bid $15.00 per joke..and these are big companies up here doing this
  7. AzLawnMan

AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member

Well these bigger companies can bid lower because they currently have the man-power waiting for new jobs. In the past they used these highly skilled workers on installs, well those jobs have stalled, and they dont wanna get rid of these guys because they are very valuable. So they underbid jobs to keep those guys busy. Like I said, talk with the Property Manager or the person asking for the bid. Ask to do a walk through with the person(s) making the decision. Point out things you see that arent being done, and the things you are willing to do. I have always found during this time of one on one, you can get alot of info from them. Set up a lunch, ask how many bids there getting, ask why they are making a change, how do they pay? 30-60-90 days? These are all important questions in helping you find your price.
  8. 101Prolawns

101Prolawns LawnSite Member

Bubba don't get your hopes up on that thought of getting $20-$30 per yard them people will chew you up and spit you out down the road now joke. I mow for 6 housing Associations people and that consist of 200 yards and i only get $12 per yard, but the only reason is becuz I don't only just mow I do everything for them. I spray however many times they want and landscape like crazy. I even do the snow removal, but I charge the same per drive and I have to do it by snow blower, but I don't use awalk behind one i use a front mount grasshopper and it works great. I only hate it when it blows into my face. If you have any questions give me a hollar I give you some expertise.
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

You need that fancy enclosed cab Grasshopper makes. It even has a wiper on it. :)
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you alredy know how much you charge for a given sqft. You to extrapolate that date from your current jobs. yes get yourself a wheel or a GPS and measure the property. that way you and the prop manager are on the same page as to exactly what gets mowed, trimmed, blowed, mulched, planted ect. .. figure out how much saving you'll get by not having to drive around and drop the gate as much... on the larger jobs you can really increase your efficiency by considering different mowers ie what works on your normal resi yards may not be the best option here...

we got info on subbing out the mowing here on campus last year. I provided each contractor a detailed, electronic CAD map of the campus. but each one came out and measured each and every sqft of turf. Its the only way to know...