Help With Leaf Loader Location

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Billz, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I would like to mount a leaf loader on my truck. I have a ez dumper dump insert in my truck, and would build the sides up. Where would be the best place to mount a loader to do this? I would need to be able to dump when the box gets full without completely removing the loader...anyone have an idea?

2. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I am in the same boast as you. I was thinking about mounting it to the tongue of my trailer, but that would limit my ability to get as close to the leaf piles as necessary at some locations. If i do a tailgate type mounting i will have to remove it every time that I tow the trailer.

3. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

There are swing away leaf loaders that swing around to the side of your truck while dumping. Whether this works with dump bodys I don't know. Another option would be to mount in the front of the truck in a plows reciever if you have one. I don't know if they sell kits that fit right into the reciever so I would Imagine you would have to fab your own. Another possibility for a front mount would be to get a trailer hitch for the front and mount it on that.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I bought a used loader two years ago that was a truck mount. Had "arms" that go over the tailgate. That sucked!

I ended up cutting the arms off and just mounting it to the front of my trailer. This worked out much better for me.

I did see a photo on here from another member that had a swing away hitch mount that was set up to still be able to tow a trailer. I can't remember if this was a custom set up, or if he bought it that way. But that would be a nice option.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Hey i may have a solution for you, check this link. This will give you the ability to tow the trailer and the leaf vac. I am thinking about doing that next spring. Good Luck and i hope it helps out.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...=-1&productId=492929&R=492929&issearch=330685

6. Mike's Yard Services

Mike's Yard Services LawnSite Member

You could not possibly believe a 16hp leafloader and the trailer weight is gonna be right for that pos adapter...it is designed for bicycles not money making hard working equipment that certainly weighs more than a couple of tenspeeds.....btw.........did you get all those toys for your birthday or what........14 and all those goodies ................and still not a licensed professional..........oh yeah..your birthday is Sunday....can you go get your learner's permit on Tuesday.....then Dad might let you drive the truck that pulls the trailer..............

Regarding the leafloader..I would opt for trailer mounting and then drop trailer to dump.........not that hard or timeconsuming....

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

NO, i bought all that equipment myself, not any money from my parents. :D They wouldn't be able to afford it. Just offering suggestions for the hitch. Even if that enitial product doesn't work, someone may be able to build on the idea. And that hitch is for a big campers so it may work, ive never used it, im just giving suggestions. Anyway to answer some of your other questions: No i have to wait till 15 1/2 (NH not parents rule) till i can start to drive with a parent and we don't have to get learners permits in NH. :D And also, of course im not lisenced, im 14, what do you expect. :cool2: If i could get lisenced and insured i would in a heartbeat. Please don't make a huge deal out of the double reciever idea, just giving suggestions, have a good night everyone! :cool2: :cool2:

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have my 11 hp mounted to the front of my truck into a receiver I bolted on. It works great and is easier to drive up to the piles to load. It works good at night too. No unhookng or swinging out of the way to dump. We do some collecting at night after dark and it saves fumbling with crap in the dark.

9. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

did it mount to a plow receiver in front? Did you have to buy an extension to the end that shoots the leaves into the truck? I have a boss plow receiver in front, but where do you hang the hose on yours? Seems like it would be in the way, or maybe scratch the heck out of your truck... This might be the way I have to go... The guy at Lesco told me to build a shelf, and bolt it to the wood in the box I build...but 275 pounds bouncing down the road attached to wood, makes me nervous! lol

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

This is how I have mine mounted also. I had a fabricator build and bolt on a rack that holds a receiver to the front bumper/frame. Used a large piece of PVC tube that runs from my discharge chute on the leaf loader which goes to the front of the bed box. In between the cab of the truck and dumpbed is a vertical rack that comes up a supports the PVC discharge chute. I orginally had the loader on the front of my trailer, but that took up valuable space and since I only needed the loader with that truck, this was the best option for me. I use a big grain truck with 6' sides. It holds about 23 cubic yards. Also, when you go to dump, especially partcial loads with dump easier because the debris is loaded to the back of the bed instead of the front. I have pics on this site if you do a search.