1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with license

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turfman33, Jun 23, 2005.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I have a client that has his Termite license and we got talking about a week a go. He tells me that he is going for the Lawn pesticide license and that when he gets it I can work under his license. I already have my own lawn care business by the way. This wont be happening for about another year but I want to get all my ducks in a row.

My question is, Is there any study materiel in the way of books, DvD's etc....that I can use to start studying up on. I read a lot of the question and answers on here and this game sounds a little scary but I have so many clients wanting me to do this that I have finally got somebody that is willing to let me work under their license.

I guess the question would be toward those that live in Florida due to the laws etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Warrior156

Warrior156 LawnSite Member

:) Hello Steve,

Turf and ornamental licenses are easy to get if you are savvy on measurement's.
    Most materials to study with can be obtained from your State Department of Agricuture. The books aren't expensive. I just got mine last September. In North Carolina that is the way it operates.
  3. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

In the state of TN it seems like an act of congress to get your license. First of all you have to take a certification exam, then take another exam to get a license, then your charter. Once you get the certification exam and pass if you don't have a degree or have worked for someone who was licensed you have to sit before the board and plead your case before they will let you sit for the exam. Here is my problem. I have only worked on my own yard applying pesticides. I don't have time to work for someone else nor do I have a degree in this field. I have a lot of customers who I can service and will appreciate me more if I get my license. I am not sure it is worth it. Has anyone ever been in this situation (sit before the board to plead your case). I really do want to get my turf and ornimental license.
  4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i agree....it's complete bull&*^%. you have not mentioned the most ridiculous part...the cost of insurance.

here, they are asking $2K-$4K per year for the insurance. how many lawns do you have to spray to break ever?
  5. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Turffman it was me who E-Mailed you
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Florida Lawn Handbook.
  7. A.T.A.K

Ric would be correct Also study applying pesticides correctly will help with the core part and it just makes sense
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yes besides "Fla Lawn Handbook", SM1 "Applying Pesticides Correctly" the state has added a book about Fire Ant control as part of the study material.(which I need to buy and read) The State is in the process of changing all the tests and the study material. I know for a Fact the new Fumigation Test and study material have been completed, because The guy I got my cert with was one of the authors of the test. He told a while back that the format they set up for Fumigation will be used on all categories.

Dr. Sing has finally retired. which may or may not be a good thing. I have all the certs so I like the idea that the test is hard. The old passing rate was under 50%. What the new passing rate is has yet to be seen. My County has 150,000 people and over 100 CPO's. Take into account that many are with Large Corporation and have Techs working under their license. There is no shortage of applicators. There appears to be no shortage of scam men in the business either.
  9. A.T.A.K

I know the feeling. I am in seminole county no shortage on my end either.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yep then throw in all the illegals throwing down the Home Depot specials and Lesco sure doesn't help either. BTW the inspector for my area quit a year ago and has never been replaced. Great State we live in for fair play. If and when a new guy takes his place we all will catch heck and get inspected while it will take him two years to even learn that there are scrubs applying pesticides illegal.