Help with "lowballer" avoidance?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rrodgers, Jun 2, 2008.

1. rrodgers

rrodgers LawnSite Member

Hi to All,

With all the lashings going on about lowballing :)hammerhead:lol), I wanted to get an opinion on how to avoid doing it. Being new to the business it is a little difficult to know what to charge right off so any help would be appreciated.

I am in Deltona, Florida, where it seems there's a mower in the back of every pick-up or 2x4 trailer (some are quite sad indeed). However, I plan to make this my full time career and bought the best I could with funds available (new 6x12 trailer w/brakes, slightly used 48" JD rider, decent trim/hand equip). I am licensed and in search of insurance at the moment.

The local market is so awash in different levels of operators, getting a ballpark figure to charge is rather tricky as estimates vary greatly for the same yard. So, my first estimate was today - 1/4 acre (maybe less), above ground pool with tons of wood decking in backyard, almost no beds/plants to trim around - stated $35 per week.

Any opinions or comments on my price would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds fair for your area... just depends on how much trimming that need to be done! my opinion, that the most important part of the job..like icing on the cake! more trimming = more time = more $$ to charge, but every area is different.:dancing: