Help with Lowballer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc, Feb 27, 2005.

1. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

Guys. I've never experienced this problem and need your opinions. There is a part time LCO that i attend church with who is married to a distant cousin of mine. He is not licensed or insured. He used to work full time for other LCO's in the area but now has a full time job. He has went to a couple of my customers and offered them 3 free mowings and will mow for $25 per week after that for 1 acre lots. I was getting $40 minimum. These customers also attend church with both of us. Of course they took his bid and say they will let me have the account again next year. What would you do in this situation? Would you turn him in for being illegal operator or let it slide?

2. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

I wouldn't think twice about it. He is taking money right out of your pocket ! He has to learn some how ! payup

3. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

If he goes to the same church as you and is a distant realative so to speak I would confront him and let him know you don't appriciate what he's doing. Let him know you are going to turn him in. If he does'nt back off turn his low balling arse in.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

First I would set the customers straight, i'm not hard to deal with and they know the work, if they want to take the chance on him, if his work sucks or next year if they want to come back my price goes up. if I'm willing to take them back at all. say something along the lines of well i'm pretty sure i can fill your time slot, so we'll see if i can fit you in when you decide to call.

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Is he doing something illegal? or immoral? or is he just willing to work for less money per hour than you? Where is the offense in that? Why would you desire to cut your brother down just because he is happy to work for less money? I think you have a problem and need to pray about it.

6. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

I'll bet he won't be putting any more in the collection plate....enough said?

Matt

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The offense is that he's setting the cost of service back 20 yrs. And yes I would turn him in. Once the irs takes there share he won't be so quick to low ball. And whats with the brother BS a brother does not cut another brothers throat because he is happy to work for less money. BTW he ain't a brother he's a distance cousin & a hypocrite

Mac

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

What he said! :D

9. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

I don't think its the price (money issue) here. I thinks it the idea of him stealing 2 customers away. Especially from someone from his own church. In my business I never and I repeat, never do I ever try to steal a customer from one of my competitors. Its called common courtesy or respect. If one of my competitors customers calls me up for an estimate by there own choice fine, I will give them an estimate and if they choose my service fine. I will never step on a competitors toes and go low balling just to solicate business. Just my .02 worth. How would feel if it happened to you in your business ?

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If those customers dumped you for a lower bid, then I'd say good riddance to them. They're cheapskates and nothing more. They'll probably be calling you in the summer saying the other guy quit and they need you to start them back up. At that point you need to politely let them know that your schedule is full and that you will not dump a loyal (emphasis on loyal) current customer to take them back. They'll get the message loud and clear.