1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Maryland regulations

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by csbalt, Apr 20, 2014.

1. csbalt

csbalt LawnSite Member

Just registered my PA business with the Dept. of Labor and the Office of the Attorney general. i want to operate in MD as well as PA. Do i need to obtain any licenses or permits in Maryland? FYI...For now im just mowing so i dont have to worry about a MHIC.

2. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

No idea. But someone here will be able to help you: http://pgms.org/ It seems like the majority of their members are in MD, from conversations I've had with their board.

3. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Call the MD courthouse for regulations, labor and taxation

4. Green Finger

it depends on what you are planning to do in the State.

5. csbalt

csbalt LawnSite Member

Just mowing and trimming. No landscaping out hardscaping
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Need to register DBA
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

No apps? You'll need a certified applicators license if you do.

As far as taxes and stuff like that, look this website over for details. http://www.dat.state.md.us/

8. LHS Lawns

LHS Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

If you are just going to mow grass you're ok. If you stick a plant in the ground you'll need an MHIC license. Anything to do with pesticides for turf and ornamentals you'll need a license.

Don't even think about fertilizing a lawn without your Professional Fertilizer Applicators Certification.

Just heard a bunch of riverkeepers are asking one county to do a volunteer moratorium on lawn fertilizers.

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Just what we need more regulations
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Green Finger

LHS Lawns is right.... they are really trying to regulate the amount of fertilizer that is being applied. Because a lot of it is going into the Chesapeake Bay and it's affecting the crab and fish population.

They have a new law in Maryland whereas you need a fertilizer licences just to put down fertilizer and separate pesticide license to put down weed control.

Be careful because if you are putting it down without a license (especially spraying) they are going slap you with a fine.