Help with material mark-up

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Craig Turf Management, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I need help in determining how much to mark up mulch. I have a job requiring 10 cubic yards of cedar mulch. I'm going to buy it for 24.00 per yard. I will add to that delivery and 45.00 per hour labor.
    I'm making money on the install(labor), but I want to charge a fair mark-up on the product as well. I usually mark up things 50%. That would bring my product cost to 36.00 per yard for the product. Is this in line with what you folks charge?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.
    Bill Craig:dizzy:

2. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

There are many different methods people use to determine a final price. You will be able to figure out a method that works for you as you read them and apply them to a job you are doing to get a price you think is profitable and fair.

The method that I use is to determine the quantity of mulch I need for the job. I then take my cost per cu/yrd and multiple it by 3 to determine my fee.

You have 10 yards at $24 cu/yrd. My fee would be $720. That would include weeding, edging, and any other prepping the beds may need, delivery and application. This normally does NOT include shrub work. It would also not account for access problems or anything else that would alter the price.

I hope you find this helpful in determining how to charge.
    Mark