help with mixing 3 way ester please!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mike and jana, Jan 19, 2006.

1. mike and jana

mike and jana LawnSite Member

Hey all! new to the business last year so this is our 1st full year. Looking forward to it very much. Getting started spraying for broadleaf (clover, chickwed henbit) using 3 way ester. I mixed according to label. 1.25 oz for a 4 gal backpack sprayer. Its been 2 weeks and I am not seeing the results i think I should see. i live in Nc and its been warm and very nice. It did rain about 8 hrs after I sprayed and I forgot to use a sticker. Any advice other than maybe the rain did it in or possibly the use of a sticker would have done the trick? Or did I even mix it right strength?
    thanks!

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

how many sq ft did you spray? 1 1/2 oz sounds like the amount for 1000 sf. I usually mix my spray for 1 gal per 1000 sf. so you may have not put down enough herbicide.

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

5oz for 4gal .........

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Mix should have been closer to 1 oz per gal.

If you had used a surfactant, the application would have been rainfast in just a few hours.

5. mike and jana

mike and jana LawnSite Member

thanks for all who replied. Obviously I mixed it too weak. Beginners mistake no doubt. We are learning. I had it at about 1/4 strenght. No wonder nothing died!

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

mix quick silver and youll get better results

7. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

the 3 way ester should work fine if mixed right 1-1.5 oz per M, but check the label. Find out the coverage you get out of your 4 gallon back pack. The ester is oil based and the oil opens the pores of the weed more effectively in cooler weather, but it volatilizes more than water based herbicides, especially in warm weather. Not sure when leaf out is in NC, but don't use the product once new leaves are emerging. Just go to a regular 3 way...much less expensive.

8. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

I am not taking a shot or anything but you are licensed right?
    first year in business and your spraying?

9. B&B

B&B LawnSite Member

You will never know how much chemical to mix until you know the definition to the word calibration.

10. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

The trick is to find the coverage your getting out of that 4 gallon sprayer. Yes,1.25 oz per gallon is fine for spot spraying and such, but some people using backpacks for blanket apps might cover 8-10,000 sq ft with 4 gallons. Always adjust your mix by how much area you are covering, not just how many gallons of solution.